Local Property Tax: Curious why people haven't chosen the direct debit option.?

DerKaiser

Definitely a 'Shooting the breeze' question here, don't want anyone getting hot and bothered. I'm curious to find out the reasons why people haven't chosen the direct debit option.

I chose the employer route. Deducted at source each month. No additional cost to me via bank charges.

What I don't receive, I don't miss.

Marion

I pay everything by cc to build up the clubcard points!
But as Revenue charge a %fee for using the cc and because they will take it immediately, I'll be paying in March by DD in 1 lump sum

Don't understand the level of confusion myself that's out there, media frenzy perhaps?

I just do not wish to have Revenue making the decision to deduct my property tax for the next 3 years.
Next year I will choose which way I will pay in 2015

I'm curious to find out the reasons why people haven't chosen the direct debit option.

Don't like direct debits as I prefer to have control over these payments myself i.e. do them when necessary by online banking.

Should probably have gone down Marion's route originally but found the debit card handy for the first payment.

I'm waiting and watching at the moment out of pure devilment as I refuse to make the two payments in one year and sure didn't Joan tell me on Sunday that it would be madness to do so ..........................

The date chosen for direct debits is the 15th of each month, so before pay day for a lot of people on monthly payments.

Don't like direct debits either, virtually impossible to stop in my previous experience so won't be using them anytime soon. I'll pay for the 2014 tax in 2014, not before.

Same as Delboy. Once off DD next March. I wanted to pay by CC though in one lump sum to get Ulster Bank points on the CC but I didn't want to pay immediately or be charged a fee. Seems funny. I am handing over €1800 to the revenue but still trying to save pennies elsewhere.

The property crash mustn't have hit you too badly if you're paying over €1800 !

The property crash mustn't have hit you too badly if you're paying over €1800 !

Bought in 1993. Paid off mortgage over 10 years. House now valued at 4 times I paid for it. Took(forced) redundancy in 2002. No income. Living off savings. Will downsize in a few years. Modest lifestyle. Same money worries as most people but surviving. Spent €500 on house repairs this year. Savings just draining away.

I use DDs a lot and I am sure that the DD option will be a good idea for the LPT for a lot of people.

However, I am not using it for the LPT.

We started a regular saving plan to put the money away to pay the LPT in Jan last year. We kept this up after paying it in July, so we should have enough to pay it in one go in March.

We choose the amount to put away every month to be 1/9 of the annual LPT.
This gives us 2 payment holidays a year (Christmas and Holidays) and a bit of a buffer. I prefer to have the control to plan it myself.

dont like idea of state/revenue just increasing year on year , ahh sure its only 4 euro s a week more, standing order no bother , is it not a slippy slope of homes being linked to accounts , are we just being softened up

I paid by credit card last week, just to get it out of the way and not to have it hanging over me.
Hated paying it along with all the other taxes that have been imposed in the last few years but no choices really so just paid it.

Back