Local Authority Transfer

Spud50

i am writing this on behalf of my Brother. He is currently a staff officer in Dublin City Council ( last 16 years) , he is moving to Cork with his partner as she wants to move back to her home County.

is there any way he can apply for a transfer to a local authority in Cork like Cork City/county Council or the Central statistics office?? or will he have to just leave his job in DCC and make fresh applications in Cork?

i am writing this on behalf of my Brother. He is currently a staff officer in Dublin City Council ( last 16 years) , he is moving to Cork with his partner as she wants to move back to her home County.

is there any way he can apply for a transfer to a local authority in Cork like Cork City/county Council or the Central statistics office?? or will he have to just leave his job in DCC and make fresh applications in Cork?

He should talk to someone in HR . If it's an option.

Union magazines used to have adverts for head to head transfers of the type you describe, it might be worthwhile to check with his union

Each Council is a separate employer, so transferring isn't a straightforward procedure
For info, the CSO is a civil service entity, rather than a public service (like the Co Councils).

It's different in the Civil Service but there are lots of people moving on mobility between Govt Departments at the moment so maybe it has become easier in the Public Sector too, has he applied for any promotions to either Cork City or County Councils? His HR and Union should be able to help.

His HR section should definitely be able to advise on whether there’s some sort of collective mobility scheme that allows for movement of staff between different councils.

As dereko1969 has alluded to, this already exists in civil service departments/offices.

Back