LL selling, whst happens my deposit?

remey

Hi,
We are renting for almost 3 years (December). The estate agent phoned me to say the landlord wants an insurance valuation done. I said to her just so I know who I'm letting in is it your agency or insurance valuers, she said I think it's us but not our office. I asked if it was being sold and she said she didn't think so. I'd a call today to arrange the appointment and I Googled the number it was the sales division.
My question is, assuming she puts the house on the market and we move in the meantime (before Dec) because a suitable house comes up, are we entitled to our deposit back?
Thanks

Provided you give the required notice in your lease and there is no damage on the property beyond wear and tear then yes, you're entitled to the return of your deposit.

You would have to agree to letting anyone in to view the property, so it should become very clear if they are putting it up for sale.

The discussion with the landlord should be about you letting prospective purchasers view the place vs the landlord being amenable to ending the lease early with no penalty.
Remember for the duration of the lease you don't have to let a soul in to view the place,except the landlord or his agent to do a prearranged inspection.

Provided you give the required notice in your lease and there is no damage on the property beyond wear and tear then yes, you're entitled to the return of your deposit.
Notice periods in leases are generally unenforceable - the statutory notice periods are those which must be used and since 4 Dec 2015, some of these notice periods have been increased.

The OP's notice period would be 84 days but by mutual agreement at the time of the Notice (or thereafter) between landlord and tenant may be longer or shorter

My understanding was that if a property is being sold, the tenant can be more or less evicted...am I wrong?

Thanks.

More or less correct, Gordon.

Under a Part 4 tenancy, the law actually states that the sale must be completed within the 3 months following the Notice of Termination. Property sales usually take about 3 months (if you are lucky and there are no problems).

However, if there is a Fixed Term lease in existence, unless the lease provides for it, the landlord must wait until the fixed term has ended to avail of Section 34 of the RTA 2004.

Back