Lizzie Windsor to visit the auld sod

...that we voted in.

SF for example, in our democracy, both north and south, who go on about mandates all the time, represent a very small amount of the electorate. Even historically they have never represented the majority view or anywhere close to it.

To propose that the north was stolen and that we need to get it back may be your view and views of some others but it is not a view widely held.

Reminds me of Gay Byrne interviewing Gerry Adams years ago. He asked him to explain simply and in his own words the aims/agenda of SF in terms of NI etc etc and after a well rehearsed pseudo revolutionary speech from Adams, Byrne simply replied "I see...and who asked you to do this?"

I think she'd prefer to go to a Germany game :)

Again, I just don't get this obsession with the ancestory of the British Monarchy. Why do we hate the English so much when most of the "bad" Monarchs aren't even English, if their country of birth or ancestor's place of birth is such a big deal let's hate the Germans, French, Welsh, Scottish and Dutch as much.

It just defies logic as I can see to resent a specific country and people because of their Monarchy. So these folks who had no choice largely but be overrun and ruled by an oppressive system of rape, theft, murder, slaughter and systems akin to slavery are disliked because some very rich Europeans by birth decree that they're more important and want more land than anyone else.

Fine, let's judge them all based on the ills imposed by a few. But then why do we take great delight in reminding the said subjects that their Monarchs aren't even "native". I dunno, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Besides, my British Royal genealogy may not be up to much, but the Germanic side of the current British Royals is about 4 generations removed. Betty's mum and dad were born in England, her grand parents were born in England, her great grandparents were too. So fine her great, great, great grandfather was German. Even Jack Charlton wouldn't have given someone with that far removed a passport a place on the Irish team.

Why do we hate the English so much when most of the "bad" Monarchs aren't even English, if their country of birth or ancestor's place of birth is such a big deal let's hate the Germans, French, Welsh, Scottish and Dutch as much.

Just because you dont like Monarchs, it doesnt mean you dont like the people of the country. I think the German thing is relevent because it shows that, with monarchies, it possible that someone who as little or no connection with a country, maybe never visited it and doesnt speak the language can be put in charge for life! Absurd - has happened several times in England and with other Monarchies. If the truth be told, in Europe, one close knit family has managed to obtain most of the Monarchies in Europe. One small family suppressing millions of European people.

Just because you dont like Monarchs, it doesnt mean you dont like the people of the country. I think the German thing is relevent because it shows that, with monarchies, it possible that someone who as little or no connection with a country, maybe never visited it and doesnt speak the language can be put in charge for life! Absurd - has happened several times in England and with other Monarchies. If the truth be told, in Europe, one close knit family has managed to obtain most of the Monarchies in Europe. One small family suppressing millions of European people.

Exactly my point though, it's the European Monarchies where you basically had cousins and second cousins fighting each other to grab as much land and wealth as they could in order to support their elite status and lifestyles. And despite this pan european element, it's the "brits" we've the problem with.

Would the same thread to the same extent be here if it were the Spanish or Danish monarchies? There'd be grumbles, but I doubt there'd be such a thread. But it was their cousins who inflicted the hurt here, just because they married into or inherited a different seat and land means it wasn't them directly ruling Ireland. Don't they have the blood on their hands too?

Back