Living In Ireland - Paid from UK

wheeler

I have the following options available to me and was wondering if anyone has any initial advice, but mostly I am wondering where I can get the best official advice.

Current Context:
IT Contractor -
LTD Irish Company -
Invoicing UK company in Sterling and getting paid into Irish business sterling account
Most Work carried out in London Mon-Fri with somework in Dublin and NY
PAYE - all paid in Ireland

The UK company want to change this to one of :
Option 1:
My Irish LTD company to invoice their Irish entity in Euros and charge VAT

Option 2:
Open up an English LTD company and continue to invoice the UK entity in Sterling

I will be carrying out the work 50 - 50 between Ireland and the UK

Concerns:
1. The euros crisis - am weary of giving up invoicing in Sterling
2. If open LTD company in UK, and considering I am a one man band contractor, I really don't want the hassle of figuring it all out unless it wil really benefit me monetarily

Any general suggestions are welcome but really want to know where to get best advice.

The first concern I would have is that as you are currently working in the UK using an Irish Ltd company, you should probably be operating UK PAYE on your income, and possibly Irish PAYE as well. Depending on how many days you are spending in the UK you could be dual resident, and possibly should be filing personal tax returns in both countries.

Your situation is complex and you should get suitable professional advice.

www.taxingtimes.ie

One thing to be aware of if you set up in the UK is that I believe there is a maximum 2-year limit that you can work for a single company and the Inland Revenue are quite strict about this. If you are planning to work long-term for the same company, it may be better to be outside the UK.

What you are referring to is IR35 - HMRCs anti avoidance legislation - they target IT contractors if they can prove that they are effectively 'employees' and not 'self employed'

I agree with the above - you would be better of seeking professional advice as your situation is quite complex.

www.accountantonline.ie

Back