Live petrol prices to be made available in UK

arbitron

BBC: Supermarkets forced to publish live fuel prices to cut costs

Supermarkets and other fuel retailers will be forced to publish live prices under a new scheme aimed at stopping them overcharging, the government says.

It comes after Britons were found to have paid an extra 6p per litre for fuel at supermarkets last year as weak competition let them charge more.

Under the scheme drivers will be able to compare up-to-date prices online so they can find the cheapest option.

Driving groups say the idea, which is used elsewhere in Europe, is overdue.

Energy Security Secretary Grant Shapps said it would change the law to force retailers to share this information.

A new "fuel monitor" oversight body will also be set up to scrutinise prices on an ongoing basis.

I'm not familiar with this type of scheme. Does anyone know how it works in other countries? Can you just look at an app and see how much each petrol station on is charging?

Here we have the (reasonably defunkt) www.pumps.ie and various Fuel Prices Cork style Facebook groups.

Both are great and seem to have stopped a few garages charging outrageous amounts, but all rely on people submitting, not on a central register.

Here we have the (reasonably defunkt) www.pumps.ie and various Fuel Prices Cork style Facebook groups.

Both are great and seem to have stopped a few garages charging outrageous amounts, but all rely on people submitting, not on a central register.
Waze also lists prices but, like the others that you mention, can be hit and miss.
When pumps.ie resumed after an offline hiatus last year or the year before I was never able to log in and update prices for some reason. I've also never been able to submit info via Waze...

Back