Litigation costs

daveco23

Wonder if anyone can help.
I contracted a builder to construct a conservatory in Jan 08. Payment terms were 1/3 deposit, same for installation of base, and same for delivery of conservatory. I have paid 14k which constitutes 2/3's of the price quoted.

Builder had installed base then went missing for 2 months. Finally got in touch with him and he told me he had gone out of business and was not n a postion to finish the job, nor could he refund me the difference in work done versus what had been paid for. On solocheck, he is still a director of the company and there is nothing on it to support his claim he has gone bust. Also, a friend of a friend, by coincidence, contracted the same company to build a sunroom, and to date this has been completed by the builder, over the same time period he had told me he was out of business.

In short, I want a refund of 9k. If I go down the litigation path what would the approximate costs be.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks

You should really make an appointment with a solicitor who will take you through the potential process. Obtaining a judgement is often the easy part- collecting is a whole other ballgame.

An alternative route would be to go down to his place of business and stand there with a placard detailing your dealings with him, he might write you a cheque fairly sharpish then. Or ring Joe Duffy.

Possible fraud involved if he is still in business ?? might be a Garda matter if he is fraudulently trying to take money off you ? Call local garda station and ask them for advice first, then go see your solicitor, they will outline costs invloved by giving you a section 68 (or 58?) letter to show costs involved. Good luck !

Back