Key Post List of health insurance advisors and brokers

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I heard a Roisín Lyons from [broken link removed] on the Pat Kenny Show yesterday giving advice on health insurance.

Dermot Goode used to be an independent broker but now appears to work for [broken link removed]

Are there other brokers in this market?

I understand that only Aviva pay commission to brokers, so it would be advisable to use a fee only broker to make sure you get the best advice.

Brendan

Hi Brendan, Roisin Lyons here, responding to your post!
I am sure there are more than just ourselves expert in health insurance, however, our expertise has evolved specifically over the last 8 years and spans a career focussed on this market over the last 23 years, well in advance of any other broker having any degree of expertise in health insurance.
In the past we have designed our own plan complimenting the most favoured cover at that time in the best interest of the consumer.

Our position is quite clear, we aim to help every single caller to our helpline as comprehensively as we possibly can so as to give full and complete view of the three insurers.

We do not charge a fee for this service and i would ask the simple question, why pay a fee to a fee charging broker, when you get the advice and solution suitable to your needs, for free, from Lyons Financial Services. We do receive a commission from Aviva, if we place business with them, however, it is not always the right solution for the consumer and anyone who has dealt with us, will tell you that our focus is always the best interests of the consumer.

Any queries, please feel free to contact myself. Regards, Roisin Lyons

i would ask the simple question, why pay a fee to a fee charging broker

Very simple really. Most people don't trust brokers.

You have no conflict of interest if you charge me a fee for the advice. If it happens that Aviva is the best policy, they will pay you commission which you can pay me or deduct my fee from it.

Brendan

I considered whether I should do as Roisin has done and not reply to this post but I feel in warrants a reply.

I think you are being very unfair Brendan. How did you come to the conclusion that 'most people don't trust brokers? What study exactly did this come from? Or is this simply supposition based on your own feelings and experiences?

In the days of the Celtic Tiger approximately 50% of PTSB's mortgage business was done through brokers. Brokers sold far more tracker rates than banks directly as PTSB's figures would confirm. They also sold dramatically less payment protection plans than the same banks. So the evidence might suggest that time and time again brokers are more likely to conduct business in good faith and in the best interests of their clients and not the institution.

Also about 50% of Aviva Health's business is placed through brokers, from individuals to large domestic and multinational companies. These two examples would clearly suggest that someone must trust brokers! But let’s not deal in supposition, let’s put some actual accountability behind our claims.

A financial services research study done in the UK only a year ago showed that while trust was down across the whole of the financial services industry, brokers remained the most trusted with Building Societies in second place. While this is a UK study it is a reasonable indicator of sentiment.

Also of the 7,230 complaints made to the Financial Ombudsman in 2010 only 447 were made about intermediaries some of whom may not be brokers.

Also with regard to the idea of paying for advice on health insurance, each of the three insurers will be able to provide a level of cover suitable for 90% of people’s needs.

On occasion you will get instances where there may be specific requirements of the client that will indicate that another insurer is more suitable, based on how they treat certain procedures or scans that may be of extra importance to, or used more frequently by the client such as mammograms, IVF, Dexa scans, arthoplasty, cataract extraction, Tavi’s etc. Indeed even in these circumstances the premium differential of the plans might be great enough to suggest that the client self insure the risk for it, if and when the need arises. If not, the broker in most cases may be happy to absorb the fact that they will not get paid for the advice the other 10% of the time, (most brokers will consider their professional credibility is worth that!).

So what does that tell you? It tells you that a good broker can offer you the following:

Detailed Fact Find: Analysis of your individual needs and expectations.

Comparison Report: Detailing where there is a difference in existing cover and any proposed solution.

Statement of Suitability: Letter detailing why the product suggested is suitable for your needs and detailing the collective understanding by both parties engaged in the transaction so as to ensure both parties are satisfied as to the suitability of the offering.

This is a service you will not get directly with an insurer and one which you should be delighted to have offered to you for free but one which you should be prepared to pay for!
More to the point however, and a point you seem to have missed is that ‘trust has nothing to do with it’. One’s decision whether or not you use a broker should not primarily be decided on an issue of trust, but on two things, competence and accountability.
Competence: Is the broker highly active in this market, up to speed with market changes and do they possess the product knowledge to advice on all available plans.
Accountability: Being regulated and having the onerous responsibility laid out in the consumer protection code you have the right of recourse should you have been ill advised. (You don’t even enjoy that level of legal protection with VHI directly due to the fact that they remain unregulated for the provision of health insurance.)
That is the point! You share the risk when you use a regulated trained professional rather than taking advice from the “How to save money on your Health Insurance” slot on your favourite radio station! Make the wrong choice there and you’re on your own and rightly so.
I understand your point on paying a fee in order to be sure that ‘Caesar’s wife must be above suspicion’ and for that reason I do charge a fee, but how have you come to the conclusion that a broker should refund commission earned from an agreement between them and an insurer? This agreement where it exists is long standing and between an insurer and intermediary. It bears no affect on the cost of the cover provided. The days of people falling over each other for mortgage business and throwing commission at clients are over and thankfully so. You can’t have it both ways. I will charge you a fee Brendan for good comprehensive advice but in your case will keep the commission earned if best advice (for which you pay me) dictates that you end up with a provider who sees fit to remunerate me for introducing the business. I like other professionals study to be proficient in the advice I give and will charge accordingly for that advice.
This sort of baseless comment is insulting to both brokers and the hundreds of thousands of people who see fit to use their services on a daily basis, people who no doubt represent a cross-section of ask about money users.
In the business of financial services one can expect to hear this sort of thing from time to time but to hear this notion endorsed by the owner and moderator of this site and from someone who describes themselves as a consumer activist is disappointing to say the least.
I won’t responding to any further posts on this issue.
Patrick

Where do you get a list of independent brokers? I have been getting advice from Cornmarket but they only want me to deal with Aviva. Anytime I have mentioned Quinn they have just passed it off.

Where do you get a list of independent brokers? I have been getting advice from Cornmarket but they only want me to deal with Aviva. Anytime I have mentioned Quinn they have just passed it off.

I think this shows the basis of Brendans comments about brokers and backs up serotoninsid's comments that commision can sway a broker. Aviva give commision to Cornmarket if you join then. Quinn & VHI don't. These sort of anectdotes have convinced me never to trust a broker

Hello,

Its time for me to renew soon just wondering is there an updated list of brokers anywhere?

Over the past few years I have found it difficult enough going through all the different policies. Then (in January usually) I hear an advisor/broker on the radio who is able to recommend much cheaper and just as good a policies as what I'm on.

So I would like to know who these brokers are so I can have a chat with them this year before I renew

Thanks

J

Last edited:
Hi All,

Just thought I should let you know I have just saved myself 870euro with your help & by doing a little research on this. Result!

Thanks all,

J

Any other advisors out there?

I like the sound and price of Dermot Goode's fee-based service.

[broken link removed]

Fee-Based Consultation with Dermot Goode

If you want expert and impartial advice across all 365 health insurance plans, then you should avail of a fee-based consultation with Dermot Goode. This ensures you get best advice at all times based on your own personal requirements across all health insurers.

This is normally a phone-based service which starts with a full understanding of your healthcare requirements for you/your family. Once this is clear, then specific recommendations will be proposed and explained to you in detail. The objective is to ensure you have full information on the most competitive options so you can decide on the best healthcare package for you/your family. If there are savings to be made, Total Health Cover will show you how to achieve this without compromising on key aspects of your cover. Switching is not always the answer and we will explore all the alternatives with your existing insurer first.

The fee for this service is €125 for a family / individual policy. This covers all aspects of the review irrespective of how long it takes and is only payable once the review has been fully completed.

If you want to have your cover personally reviewed by Dermot Goode / Total Health Cover, please complete the questionnaire below and we will contact you directly to agree a time & date to commence the phone-based review. Please note that face-to-face review sessions are sometimes possible but a higher fee will apply due to the time involved. If this is of interest, please include this in the ‘comments’ box.

Back