Lisbon or Cascais

djsim

Hello All,

I am looking for some advice. I am getting married in June in Portugal in Albuferia and decided to fly home from Lisbon Airport, to break up the 2 weeks. We would like to stay in the Lisbon area for the remaining 5 days of our 2 weeks stay.

Would I be better off staying in Lisbon and travel to Cascais by train for the beach, or vice versa?

Any hotel recommendations also? I have 10 year old daughter travelling with us also.

Cheers,

I stayed in Casicas last october it was a nice resort with good beach and lots of walks. It took about 50 mins on the train to get to Lisbon and it was €4 return and trains were frequent. So it depends if you want a city break and a little time in the beach or you want a beach holiday with a day in the city. We went to Sintra also for a day from Cascais that was a good day out also castles and gardens.

I agree with Coleen you have to decide if you want a city break or beach break more, I did the opposite to Coleen and stayed in Lisbon for five days last May and really enjoyed it, there are so many things to see and do. I went on the train to Casicas for a day unfortunately I went on a Sunday and had to queue for over an hour for a ticket for the train as there were so many people going there but enjoyed the visit there. I loved Lisbon and it is such an easy city to get around if I remember right a 3.50 ticket let you use all the transport in the city all day. I notice you have a 10 year old with you maybe she would be happier by the beach as the sight seeing I did might bore her.

Thanks Hans and Coleen for your replies. I think 10 days by the sea in Albuferia will be enough beach for us, so I am leaning towards staying in Lisbon, if it comes to it, we can always take a day out and travel by train to the beach.

Hans, where did you stay in Lisbon when you were over there?

Thanks,

I stayed at Novotel I stayed in this hotel as I was booked into it for a conferance but decided to also extend my visit and do some sightseeing of Lisbon I decided not to book the hotel for the extra days until I got there in case the hotel was out of the way and not very nice. I was very pleasantly surprised it was really lovely it is on the flight path but I can honestly say I never once heard any noise from a plane or the road once while in my room the isulation was amazing. Sitting by the pool the planes fly over your head but I soon didn't even notice them on the one occasion I sat by the pool. The pool wasn't very big but I wasn't interested in swimming anyway and it was just nice to have an outside space to sit as weather was great while I was there. The hotel is between two Metro stations so you have a choice and with transport so good and cheap in the city it doesn't really matter that you are not right in the centre of the city as you can be there in five mins. I had a buffet for dinner the first night for 15 euro and it was lovely couldn't fault it and of course I was pleasantly surprised by the great value all over Lisbon. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone that was going to Lisbon and would stay there again myself. I had a great break and loved Lisbon. Have a look at the price and see if you can get better value in nearer the centre if you would prefer that but it has a pool that your daughter might like and I think other hotels with pools might be a bit more expensive. The location didn't bother me but it might be a bother some people that prefer to walk out the door and be in the centre of town. Dont forget to visit Belem and have a pastry in the famous cafe after visiting the Monastery and climbing the tower. You can visit here with your daily transport ticket on the tram, Good Luck in your future married life and hope you have lovely Wedding day.

I would recommend the Britannia Hotel in Lisbon, stayed there a couple of years ago. Have a look on TripAdvisor.com, it will give you an idea of whether it would suit. Enjoy your wedding!

Thanks guys for your help and wedding wishes, I hope it all goes well also:)

We stayed at the Marques de Pombal hotel on the Ave. de Liberdade last June. Lovely hotel and within a comfy 15/20 min walk of the centre. Also Metro station right outside door. Would highly recommend.
Trip Advisor link here

Back