Linking prison sentences to minimum wage

Firefly

I've often thought about this. In the Indo today there is a video of someone kicking in a shop window. I wonder if convicted for such crimes as this, whether prison time should be based on the minimum wage. Say the cost to repair the window is 5,000. Then dividing this by the minimum wage (11.30ph) would mean that the time in prison would be 442 hours in prison, or 18.5 days. There are of course other factors (such as pleading guilty or not and previous crimes) but IMO the 18.5 days should be the minimum prison time. With such as easy way to determine prison time, I wonder would this reduce other crimes such as car thefts, home burglaries too where a financial cost can be determined?

Firefly

Don't they do this in other countries but in the other direction for fines? More you earn, the more you get fined for speeding for example?

Don't they do this in other countries but in the other direction for fines? More you earn, the more you get fined for speeding for example?
I like that idea, but I'm not sure many of those committing crimes are earning anything at all - it's a lot easier just to steal things :rolleyes:

Three strikes and life, ala US system and life means life. Build prisons, don't really care how many or pay to send them to serve life in Philippino /Turkish jails (may work out cheaper).

Time to end this liberal nonsense of tolerance toward recidivism. Crime needs to be treated seriously and it really is not in this country.

There are many cases of those with dozens if not hundreds of convictions released to terrorise and repeat. Throw them in jail for life, they have nothing to contribute, they are an absolute plague on law abiding people.

Last edited:
How about home tagging - I'm sure thats cheaper than prisons but it also removes the bad boy from causing more harm - and if they persist, THEN prison? I'm sure a lot of the current inmates could be contained with tagging?
In saying this, I have no idea - just guessing - but something needs doing - this 100 convictions and walking off free is lunacy.

Pour encourager les autres I would suggest 3 strikes and life in a philipino prison would do the trick ;)

Three strikes and life, ala US system and life means life. Build prisons, don't really care how many or pay to send them to serve life in Philippino /Turkish jails (may work out cheaper).

Time to end this liberal nonsense of tolerance toward recidivism. Crime needs to be treated seriously and it really is not in this country.

There are many cases of those with dozens if not hundreds of convictions released to terrorise and repeat. Throw them in jail for life, they have nothing to contribute, they are an absolute plague on law abiding people.
And the US has a relatively crime free society, proving this approach works.

Back