Limited Wireless connection

States

I have recently subscribed to UPC broadband and have been able to connect to the modem wirelessly with various wifi machines around the house (laptop, smartphone etc.) . However, I am only getting a "limited connection from my desktop (i.e. The network icon on the task bar shows with a yellow triangle and question mark.).
I have kept my eircom broadband for the moment until I get everything up & running on UPC. My eircom connection works fine on the desktop and the settings for it and the UPC connection are the same. I'm getting good signal strength from the UPC. When I do an ipconfig I get the IP address as 169.254.169.230 but I'm not able to get to the internet. I've set the IP address & DNS to automatic in the TCP/IP settings.
I've got the correct WEP key & have rebooted a number of times. I am at a loss as to what to do next. Any other settings I should be looking at? My desktop is a Compaq using windows xp.
Thanks.

That 169.254.xxx.xxx ip is an ip given by windows because your not getting a dhcp lease from your UPC modem.

eircom routers on standard setup use 192.168.1.xxx and 192.168.1.254 is the default router

AFAIK UPC use 192.168.1.xxx but 192.168.1.1 is the default router - you could try staticly assign an ip for from that subnet ( between 2 and 254) and use 192.168.1.1 as your gateway and see if that sorts it. Otherwise you need to see why your desktop can't connect to UPC modem

Thanks paddyc,
Indeed you are correct about the ip's you mention. I tried with the static ip as suggested but no luck I'm afraid. Getting a good signal but still no connection.

Have just figured it out! Had the idea of going into the Belkin utility for my wireless adapter and reconfiguring the UPC connection...and it worked for some reason.
thanks

Back