Limit on Visa Debit Card - Flights more than limit

TrixieBlue

Hi
The limit on my visa debit card is €1500, as advised by the bank for one transaction. I want to book flights for €1800. Is there any way around this?
I have a CC which I never use and the limit on this is €650.
Thanks
TB

You could put your Credit Card into a credit balance, for example if you lodged €300 into your credit card account(with limit of €1500) you would then be able to spend €1800...

. . so in this case you need to lodge €1200 to your credit card in order to pay for the flights.

You could ask your bank to increase the limit on one of your cards as a once-off to allow you to book the flights. I recall doing this with a credit card some years ago.

You have to be careful about increasing the limit. I got caught doing that. BOI had some kind of rule about only being allowed to change the limit once every 6 months. I don't think they'd let you increase it for a one off transaction. Better do what michaelm suggested and put 1200 onto the credit card.

The €1,500 limit is too low - €2,000 would be more appropriate. I overheard a colleague in work using debit card to book flights but over €1,500 so payment was declined and he was on to the bank a few times.

Back