Life span of Ikea Kitchens?

censuspro

Got a few quotes for a new kitchen and some prices quoted from suppliers are massive. €10K - €20K for what appears, to my untrained eye, to be fairly basic.

I went onto the Ikea website and cash and carry kitchens... €1,000 - €2000!

Anyone know what the quality of these kitchens are and what's the life span?

If you got a few quotes for 10-20k you must be looking for a high end kitchen. You get what you pay for. Ikea or C&C kitchens have a life span of approx 5 years with light use.
The units are flat pack re-assembled, but are still flat pack. They will have 3mm backs which will burst out at some stage.
If you want a kitchen to last 20 years dont expext to get it for 2k

Cash and Carry kitchens

Have had a Cash and Carry Kitchen for 7 yrs and it looks and works as good as day 1. they are not flat packed but come fully assembled at least mine did. All you need is a good handyman to install!

If you got a few quotes for 10-20k you must be looking for a high end kitchen. You get what you pay for. Ikea or C&C kitchens have a life span of approx 5 years with light use.
The units are flat pack re-assembled, but are still flat pack. They will have 3mm backs which will burst out at some stage.
If you want a kitchen to last 20 years dont expext to get it for 2k

Can you notice any difference on the finish, how do they look?

Ikea or C&C kitchens have a life span of approx 5 years with light use.

According to their website, Ikea's Faktum/Rationell kitchens are guaranteed for 25 years. I only have mine for 2, but I'm delighted with it.

Ikea's Faktum/Rationell kitchens are guaranteed for 25 years.

They are garaunteed for 25 years. But if a hinge goes when you lean on thee door to heavy are you going to go back to Ikea to get a hinge and get your fitter out to fix it? I doubt it.
the garauntee is manufactuing defect only.
If the vynil come away from the pelmet is it a defect or is it the steam??

I wuold love to see someone argue that after 20 years

Hi there, My sister in law paid €1500 a few years ago in cash and carrry. The kitchen is nice, however you would know it's not a high end kitchen. However they have children, and their view was the kids will wreck a kitchen so there is no point in spashing out - at this point!

P..

I know people who have had an IKEA kitchen for close to 10 years now and they still look great and has had a bit of a bashing with kids around.
All they have done in that time was replace a worktop a couple of years back with another one from IKEA as it got paint damaged not because it was wrecked.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for these kitichen are fine if you what something for a few years but if you what something a bit diffrent you will pay for that.also remenber that these kitichens are not soild but mostly vinyl was what you were looking at solid.

I've had a cash and carry kitchen for nearly 10 years now.

I don't have kids. I do have two mutts (who hang out with me in the kitchen).

I enjoy cooking and baking so the kitchen gets daily use and abuse.

It's wearing well and I'm still happy with it.

The only (minor) drawback with a Cash and Carry kitchen is that you can't get custom dimensions. But there's enough options with variations and combinations of the standard options to cover almost every design eventuality.

In this day and age paying 20k on a kitchen is ridiculous. What happens in a few years if you want to change it? You can spend 2k on a kitchen and change 10 times for the price of a 20k kitchen.

I have ikea kitchen and it is as good as any of the others I looked at before buying. How long will the 10K kitchen last? How long will you put up with it before wanting to change in anyway? After 10 years you'll probably want to redo the kitchen anyway. The 10k one will probably last this long. Even if the Ikea one lasts only 5 years you can buy another one and still pay less!

My brother who lives in France has an Ikea kitchen for the past 10 years and it is as good as new. He has no complaint whatsoever with it. He is moving into a new house and his kitchen will be Ikea again so I guess he is very happy with the quality

I have an Ikea kitchen myself and am really happy.
They offered me a ridiculously small kitchen when I bought the house. I declined so I got a check for the amount that the original kitchen would have costed. With that money I could buy a huge Ikea kitchen, and all the appliances (a pyrolitic oven, a double fridge/freezer, dishwasher and washer/drier).
I'm more than satisfied. I've had it for 2 years now, and still looks the same as the first day.

Back