Life Insurance policy - Claim hospital benefit?

machalla

I have a life/serious illness insurance policy that was set up several years ago.

I recieved an up to date statement of the benefits of the policy yesterday. One of the benefits on it is to be paid a fixed sum per day for each days stay in hospital (first 3 days excluded). I am wondering if I claim any of that benefit does this have potential to invalidate any further claims on this policy or similar policies? As far as I can see it doesn't as it states that the benefit is allowable for 365 days in total over the lifetime of the policy and there have been no other claims on it to date.

I am wary of claiming on it for a short stay in hospital I had recently for 6 days. I am not sure if this will in some way allow the insurer to invalidate the policy. I also wonder would this count as a claim on the policy and thus cause me some difficulty establishing a similar policy in the future?

Sorry if this is a bit vague, I don't have access to the policy documents at the moment, to go through the fine print on it. Would anyone who has claimed on such a policy before might know if there any pitfalls to doing so?

Thanks for any advice that may be offered regarding this.

You should contact the broker or company and request a claim form for hospitalisation benefit.

It's a valid claim, for the 3 days, and you are entitled to it.

I can't see how it would invalidate the whole policy or allow the insurer to amend any of the terms and conditions.

I've processed a number of hospital cash claims for clients over the last few months and none of those policies were affected by the claim paid out. But as above, check the T & C's of your particular policy. Also find out if the cover is backdatable after the deferred period (i.e some policies will pay out for the full 6 days after the deferred period). Don't be afraid to claim your entitlement - you've held up your side of the bargain by paying your premiums ;)

www.powerinsurances.ie

Thanks for both your help with this, particularly the possibility of claiming for the full period in hospital. I must check on it. The policy has been in effect now for 10 years so I can only assume its well beyond any exclusions.

Back