Life insurance companies database on health history

amsbam1

I was wondering if there exists a database that life insurance companies in Ireland use to verify your health history, similar to what the “Medical Information Bureau” is in the US?

A friend of mine is filling out a life insurance form, and wants to not mention some of their existing medical history.

Apart the concerns i have over the dishonesty of this, i thought the insurers may have a database to verify this.

Whatever about a database and I would doubt there is any of actual medical history, there used to be a register of existing applicants (not sure if it's still in use) who had been loaded or declined or similar the policy will be an absolute waste of money as it won't pay out if something happens.

The insurance company will investigate any claim and look for medical history etc from doctors and if there is non-disclosure of a material fact, which is basically what your friend is trying to do, then there will be no pay out.

As far as I am aware Monbretia, that database isn't used anymore.

That database just recorded applicants that were offered special terms or declined cover. Data protection act would prevent insurance companies sharing medical history with a 3rd party.

I echo was Monbretia says too about the non disclosure of a material fact. Not telling an insurance company about past medical history is a stupid thing to do. They should think of the consequences of the insurance company finding out (and they will). They will not pay out on the policy and the applicants family will be the ones who suffer from it.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Agree with the other posters. Tell your friend not to bother with the policy if they are not going to disclose the full facts. Some insurers may not delve that deep at initial underwriting phase, but you can be sure if or when a claim goes in, they will make sure to request all available medical evidence. Also, life cover is often about peace of mind. How could they have peace of mind if they don't know if the policy will ever pay out?

Back