Life assurance/insurance

Kara

This is a question about Bank of Ireland Lifetime assurance. Any advice or input would be appreciated.
Firstly; if anyone could clarify what the difference between insurance and assurance is that would help. :eek:

In 1991, my mother took out a Lifetime 'Children's education plan' which included a life assurance policy. At the time the "initial sum insured" was £25,000. She was told that the assurance part would mature in 20 years (2011) or in the event of her death.
Several years ago (2003) the education plan was cashed in, just leaving the assurance. "A protection plan policy whose primary purpose is to provide life assurance cover in case of death." The premiums/cash pay out were duly amended. The new life cover was €140,000. In a letter she was told "Your benefit and premium will increase by 5% each year over the remaining term of the policy. Benefits will be sustained for 7 years and 3 months from the quotation date." (early 2011)

However, recently due to cash difficulties she has inquired as to what would happen if she cashes it in before 2011. She's been told this is not allowed; the policy can NEVER be cashed in. Nothing will be paid in 2011 (as she's been lead to believe) and she has to continue paying into the policy until her death. When she asked what would happen if she could no longer meet the payments, they said she'll lose all the money she's ever paid in and get nothing.

Can this be right? Can life assurance never be cashed in? If she lives into her 90's will she still be expected to make payments into her policy every month? And what were they always talking about 2011 for, leading us to believe that she would receive a lump sum that year as the assurance would mature after 20 years?

Sorry for such a long post, but I wanted to be detailed, plus I'm very confused. It seems unfair that after 16 years of paying into a plan she could be left with nothing. :(

Don't know about the product but it seems to me you need to review all correspondence you received over the years and find any reference to 2011. If it's just basic life cover then you only get payment in the event of death. Unfortunately you may need to review your options. Dealing with the banks usually means you have access to only one or two insurers, you may need to consider involving a broker for a better overview of the market, and get away from the bankers!!!

id she just has the life assurance element left, then there will only be a payout in the event of her death, before policy expires.

Insurance might happen, Assurance will happen.

Thanks so far guys! And is it normal to have to keep paying into your life assurance even after retirement age? It seems that it would be pretty steep if someone's just on a state pension.

In my opinion, as a general rule of thumb an individual should not bother with life assurance unless s/he has dependents who need to be taken care of financially in the event of his/her death (including clearing any owner occupier home loan that might exist - i.e. mortgage protection life assurance). Otherwise why bother having life assurance to pay out to people (e.g. grown up/independent children) who can fend for themselves?

As for the original query I suspect that you will find that once the savings/investment part of the combined investment/life assurance policy was cashed in the policy reverted to being a straightforward life assurance policy in which case the policy would only yield a return if the individual covered died.

In 1991, my mother took out a Lifetime 'Children's education plan' which included a life assurance policy. At the time the "initial sum insured" was £25,000. She was told that the assurance part would mature in 20 years (2011) or in the event of her death.
Several years ago (2003) the education plan was cashed in, just leaving the assurance. "A protection plan policy whose primary purpose is to provide life assurance cover in case of death." The premiums/cash pay out were duly amended. The new life cover was €140,000. In a letter she was told "Your benefit and premium will increase by 5% each year over the remaining term of the policy. Benefits will be sustained for 7 years and 3 months from the quotation date." (early 2011)

I am not familar with this particular product but there are many similar products around. It appears the policy is a combined life with a savings element. In effect it is like two policies - a regular savings policy and a life assurance policy. This type of policy is usually given a duration term in the initial quote for example in this case of 20 years. The option is then to continue paying it or take the savings element and let the life assurance lapse.

In your mothers case in 2003 she took the savings element of the policy and continued paying into the life part of the policy. The premiums would have been altered to reflect this or possibly in this case she kept paying the same premium and the life cover was increased. The annual 5% increase is an optional 'benefit' to keep the policy in line with inflation. I would imagine she can waive this if she doesn't want this.

However, recently due to cash difficulties she has inquired as to what would happen if she cashes it in before 2011. She's been told this is not allowed; the policy can NEVER be cashed in. Nothing will be paid in 2011 (as she's been lead to believe) and she has to continue paying into the policy until her death. When she asked what would happen if she could no longer meet the payments, they said she'll lose all the money she's ever paid in and get nothing.

The savings element of the policy is no longer active. Your mother is paying solely towards life assurance. In the event of her death the assurance will be paid out. The life cover is only active for as long as she pays her premiums.

Can this be right? Can life assurance never be cashed in? If she lives into her 90's will she still be expected to make payments into her policy every month? And what were they always talking about 2011 for, leading us to believe that she would receive a lump sum that year as the assurance would mature after 20 years?

Its similar as to how health insurance works - if you cancel your membership, you're cancelling your cover. Regarding the lumpsum in 2011 this related to the savings element of the plan. Your mother cashed this in prior to 2011, changed to life assurance only and stopped paying into the regular savings plan.

It seems unfair that after 16 years of paying into a plan she could be left with nothing.

This isn't correct. She cashed in her saving plan so she took her lumpsum out of the policy. She still has life assurance of 140K which in the event of her death will be paid out. She has not, I would imagine, paid 140K in premiums.

Back