Lied in job interview about previous salary....

Hi I need some advice, I recently left my job as I was being severely underpaid and it was a terrible company to work for. During an interview I said I still worked in my old job as I thought it would look bad to have left without another job to go to. I also said I earned 8k more than I did, as thats how much that kind of a role would usually get.

The interview went well, so they have offered me the job matching that salary, I am now worried that they will see on my P45 I left three weeks earlier than I said and that I didn't earn as much as I had said. Will this matter? ....

Youv'e very little to worry about. 8K is nothing when moving jobs! You were offered the job based on your good performance at the interview and on your past experience. Once you start working and prove your ability then you will be up and running and, hopefully, happy in the new job.

Problems are usually caused when interviewees lie about their experience and qualifications and are later caught out when they start the new job!

Just go for it and the best of luck!

During an interview I said I still worked in my old job as I thought it would look bad to have left without another job to go to. I also said I earned 8k more than I did, as thats how much that kind of a role would usually get.

The interview went well, so they have offered me the job matching that salary, I am now worried that they will see on my P45 I left three weeks earlier than I said and that I didn't earn as much as I had said. Will this matter? ....

I think the element of trust has been broken. Sorry to say, but thats the truth. If I was an employer which interviewed someone and I later found out they lied about 8,000 hard earned euros, I would also wonder what else they lied or deceived about ?

I think the element of trust has been broken. Sorry to say, but thats the truth. If I was an employer which interviewed someone and I later found out they lied about 8,000 hard earned euros, I would also wonder what else they lied or deceived about ?

Yes - but how likely are you to find out? As previous posters have pointed out the Op would not have been given the extra salary by the new employer if that wasn't the going rate and also an employer is more likely to judge a new employee on performance rather than lkaunching a major investigation into previous salaries

Risky business ... the only way you will get caught is that the payroll person has been flagged to send p45 details to the hr person(whether the hr person picked up on something in interview or if it's a standard process that payroll do this everytime). In general (90% of time i would guess) this does not happen as both parties are way too busy with their own work to be looking out at this type of stuff.

Cheeky move and you might just get away with it. (especially with it being end of year)

There are worse chancers out there, but if HR found out, I doubt they would be impressed(as said earlier the trust in the relationship is broken).

I don't think the P45 will alert them to anything as soemone else this will be neede by payroll people and sent to the tax office from there. Is there any chance of them looking for references now, if not I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

I know trust has been broken re: lying about your salary, but you shouldn't feel guilty about it. I'm sure the employers do far worse. I'm sure your last employer was not worrying about paying you low money, which was probably a struggle to live on.

On the other hand, if you had stated your previous salary honestly, your new employer would wonder why you were getting paid so little. In fact your new employer might think that you were a bit 'simple' if you would work for so little money. Or else your new employer might think you were incompetent. In any case, your new employer would only give you about 2k more than what you were currently on, and it would take years & lots of job changes to get up to a proper salary.

I was in the same position, got made redundant, had to take ANY job just to avoid having gaps on my CV. I did the same as you when moving jobs. I got an increase of 4K (back in 2005). However I was doing the payroll & accounts (small Company) so I was processing myself;)

Best of luck in the new job, & you should have the attitude that you are entitled to this. People with a sense of entitlement tend to get more & are more highly thought of!

Tell them that you did a large pension contribution during the year. P45 shows post pension income only. That would explain it

Hi I need some advice, I recently left my job as I was being severely underpaid and it was a terrible company to work for. During an interview I said I still worked in my old job as I thought it would look bad to have left without another job to go to. I also said I earned 8k more than I did, as thats how much that kind of a role would usually get.

I was in same position last year and did not have to show them my p45, If you ring tax office and explain ,they are really helpful and see this quite alot so they will tell you the way to do it.

Yea I wouldnt worry about it either. Do your business with the revenue and payroll. Get established and proving your worth fast in the job and I doubt they'll bring it up even if they become aware in the future.

p.s. Id do the same!

Alternatively, just give them the P45, say nothing and if anyone queries the salary, say the salary figure you gave at interview was based on a payrise you were expecting to be getting from end of January this year (not what you were actually on, if you see what I mean).

I was in same position last year and did not have to show them my p45, If you ring tax office and explain ,they are really helpful and see this quite alot so they will tell you the way to do it.
Doesn't it say on the form what to do?

So what happened? Did you alter your P45, did you get caught? I've done the very same thing. Need advice.

So what happened? Did you alter your P45, did you get caught? I've done the very same thing. Need advice.

I'm almost certain that its illegal to alter a P45. Don't go there.

Just follow this good advice, posted previously...

When do you expect to start. Luckily for you it is towards the end of the year. Forward all of the P45 to Revenue instead of to your new employer. They will forward the necessary info to your new employer. You will probably be taxed on a week one /month one basis until the end of the year. Then ask for a balancing statement and you will get any tax due to you.

Say that you took unpaid leave, made a pension contribution or were paid an "under the table" bonus.

Eh, a PAYE employee is entitled to assume that any money received by him or her from his or her employer is net of payroll tax.

So you reckon that 'under the table' bonuses are net of payroll tax??? What does 'under the table' mean then?

So you reckon that 'under the table' bonuses are net of payroll tax??? What does 'under the table' mean then?

The point is that the onus is on the employer to deduct tax.

If an employer chooses to be stupid and offer his employees cash bonuses, it's his problem and not the employees.

And the relevant point is that no employer would discriminate against a potential employee who has received under the table payments from his previous employer (assuming the potential employee wasn't stupid enough to be blunt about it). Something along the lines of "there were other non-payroll elements to my package"...

Back