Lidl

....noticed the same in Lidl a couple of weeks back ie McV's instead of the usual Parkside brand... same price as usual & all that... though the same as Yourself...
ninsaga

Fruit & Veg

See that they are stocking avocados again

About time to

I phoned Newbridge in the summer to ask why they didnt have them then - Humphh !

Anyone else wish that they still sold the super heads of ( French ) lettuce instead of the scutty little heads ( just like Dunnes keep ) that they offer now

While I'm ranting - why was there no fresh asparagus last spring ? ( there was the spring before & it always seemed to sell out pronto ). Will they bother to stock it next spring ?

Also, anyone notice how they had no courgettes for most of the summer ? Whats the story with that ? - a world shortage ?

I reckon that either they are not trying on the fresh fruit & veg or some country manager type needs a kick in the @rse.

Lidl : Good but could do Much Better

Addled!

A lady from the consumer's society on the radio yesterday constantly referred to "Addle".

Elderdog,

What is the number for Lidl HQ in Newbridge? How did you find them to deal with?

I have tried their Kerrs Pinks and did not find them as tasty as ones bought in Tescos, Superquin or corner shops.

ajapale

Lidl Newbridge Customer Interface

You can call Lidl on

1800 347447

I spoke to a Claire who was very civil & pleasant

Must say I dont rate 'Addle' for food items ( when compared to Lidl ) but some of the hardware 'specials' arnt bad

I recently bought a router from them ( Aldi ) which had a problem with one of the attachment screws. The area manager for the store sorted out a replacement within two days ( no complaints from me on that level of service )

Aldi and Lidl

Thanks Elderdog,

I notice that Aldi are builidng a *Huge* distribution warehouse just out side Naas in Co Kildare. I think we can look forward to several more new Aldis across the country.

Incidently, whats wrong with "southsiders". Is Lidl Newbridge the first German discounter south of the Liffey?

ajapale

I have the feeling Lidl has changed its fruit and veg supplier last year,as elderdog has mentioned the choice got poor and the quality as well . Since about a year it is obvious to me that the timing of their fruit and veg deliveries is correlating with that of other super markets i.e. when Tesco runs out of lemons Lidl does as well.Before they changed the supplier the choice and price was better. Spring onions where only halve the price, herbs where generally available and lettuces where tasty , packed loose in timber boxes without optically volume enhancing plastics wrapping. Any idea who that company is ?

I just noticed that the prices on the Lidl.ie website are different to the brochure I picked up in the shop. The brochure prices are cheaper than the web version, the difference varies by a couple of euros on some items. Still a good website to check whats coming into the shop, but be aware that the price may be different when you actually go in. Hoping that the real price remains lower than the website!

On the subject of veg, I find Lidl's whites potatoes excellent value for money and quite tasty too! I got a bit fed up of buying the green bananas and waiting for them to ripen though!

Bananas

"I got a bit fed up of buying the green bananas and waiting for them to ripen though! "

I havnt had that problem

What region are you in ?

Was it in mid summer ?

From what I have seen they dont use much refrigeration ( frozen items are transported around in well insulated telephone kiosks on wheels ) so maybe they ship fruit to shops very under ripe in hot weather ?

Lidl Thread

Anyone know of any other boards where Lidl Ireland are discussed ?

If not, I was thinking it might be no harm if this thread was brought to their attention. After all it is by in large constructive feedback.

What do any of you think with regard to this ?

feedback

Brilliant idea - Lidl have a contact number : 1800 347 447 but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an e-mail adress.
I think it would be great if they - and indeed other retailers too - were to monitor forums (fora?) like these for genuine feedback and customer comments.
Maybe they do already ?

Their extra mature cheddar cheese (in a black wrapping) is delicious. Tried their brand of Fruit and Fibre at the w/end...no difference in taste to Kellogs. Maybe one or two less raisins but the flakes tasted like the real thing.
Their lettuce is the same price as in Supervalue.

I also like they way their receipts show you the percentage VAT you paid on each item.....you pay more for all your little luxuries such as alcohol, soft drinks, and confectionary.

Janeom

Lidl thread

There is a thread on about Lidl in the Money Matters board on www.rollercoaster.ie. All very positive of course.

Anyone get a chance to check out their notepad/electronic organizer thingy that`s on their bargain list for this week? I think it`s around 15-20 Euro.Might get it for all my Lidl lists!

Cliona

Cliona, thanks ..........

For bringing up Rollercoaster.ie - I hadnt come across it before

I started to sniff around for the Lidl thread

(i) Wandered into some place which was full of protective mothers comparing notes about their childrens allergies. As soon as they saw me a was Shoooed out as one of them came out in instant red spots

(ii) Then onto a rather cosy area with mature folk sitting by a nice fire having buttered scones and a cup of tea - very nice. I could have stayed there but I wasnt going to find my thread that way

(iii) Then - oh horror- into a room of screaming 4 year olds who wanted nothing more than to pull my ears and ( just for fun ) poke little fingers in my eyes ( they were expressing themselves )

(iv) Before things took a nasty turn I decided to leave stopping on the way out to leave a little tip on the care of sissal floor matting

If this Old Dog has to go back there I just know I'm going to knock over an eight and a half month mum to be.

Cliona, any chance that you could post a link to the Lidl thread over there?

Thanks

Elder Dog

Lettuce

"Their lettuce is the same price as in Supervalue."

Yup, its just about the same lettuce - that my problem with it.

They used to have fine big heads of proper lettuce. Now they have these sad heads of thin leaves that have to be wrapped in plastic to keep them together. They are the equivalent of battery chickens whereas the ones that they sold before were very much ones that wandered around the farm yard !

Sure they may have cost nearly twice as much but there was at least three times the amount of lettuce and it was much much nicer to eat.

The present offering may be cheap but its bad value

Elder Dog ( part time lettuce hound )

CFL light bulbs

Had three of these on the list to buy on Saturday

Lidl seem to have removed them as a stock item ( no space or price ticket any more )

Yet another item that I shall "go elsewhere for"

Humph !

Also they seem to be changing the instant coffee offerings - anyone with any views on the new ones compared to the old ?

There is a price comparison between a French store and an Irish one on the web site Incredibly cheap on the continent.Of course they have to ship the stuff a long way to Ireland with ferry charges etc.

Followed the link... and the first thing I saw was a large Nazi sign and a warning to be afraid... I wonder about the credability of that site.... oh and a quick ctrl+f shos no mention of lidl... but plenty of ryanair and fianna fail....

Back