LIDL price variance IRL v France

probably an age thing then. I dont usually buy bottles, but usually stick to draft beer or stout depending on mood,company, weather etc.:eek: beamish costs €1.69 for a 500ml can in Dunnes/Tesco and pigsback have coupons for €1 off a six pack. so call it €1.50 for as near as no difference a pint of plain. And I usually get my bottles in Newry/Crossmaglen/Armagh as they are all 'localish':)

Well I was in Wales and England all last week.
If anything our experiance gave lie to the falicy of Rip off Ireland in fact the opposite was the case, a few examples:
Train trip up mount snowdon family ticket STG£68 = €100 ouch!!
Cup of tea and a small sandwich - STG€6.5= €9.4 ouch,
Snack box- STG 4.50= €6.52
loaf of bread stg0.5= €0.72
pint of lager stg£2.75= €3.98
In cheshire oaks discount village simular to brand central but with well over 100 shops the cheepest decent pair of trousers I could get was stg £29= €42 brand central suits for you cheeper for same pair.
With regard to our so called 2nd rate health service and everything better else where reading the papers over there would wake you up for example in the Liverpool ecco story about one doctor who was meant to have a max of 1200 patients he actually had 1900/2000 cant remember which because of a shortage of gp's there is a waiting lict for appointments of a week unless you are seriously ill and then would be better to go to hospital, also storys of trollies being uses as beds , same as her but in far greater numbers , cancelled operations etc etc.
This rip off Ireland saying is a joke.there is one reason why we have relativly high prices here , wage costs there would be an easy way to bring down prices , cut wages, I cant see this happening though, can you???

I've said this before ( and being slagged for it) if Newry etc was so cheap ( and you would think from the number of D reg cars passing through dundalk every weekend that everything in it was free)and the 'free state' as the norn iron citizens refer to us was so expensive then how come 3 shopping centres thrive in dundalk? why are utv building a shopping centre in dundalk as big as the quays or buttercrane in newry? why is irelands biggest 'discount' village going to be sited in dundalk? because its like everything else. some items are cheaper in the south/ some in the north. not everything in ireland is rip off as jem and cgorman agree. unfortunately some things are but we are a nation of talkers so we talk up the bad points and sometimes down the good.

Nice to see people standing up for the country and not driven just by money.
Fair play/competion in business would be something few might complain about.
State businesses don`t make sense to me.They make more sense as a monopoly but then their considerations are political and not commercial.
I accept the recent study that our prices are 20% above the norm/average after all legitimate differences are taken into account.I don`t know anyone who considers it there right and duty to pay this 20% extra, but I do know many who consider it their right and duty to receive it.

I accept the recent study that our prices are 20% above the norm/average after all legitimate differences are taken into account.

On what grounds? Much of the anecdotal evidence here indicates that prices here are not much different than in the UK for example. There is not much evidence either that prices in the likes of Paris or Berlin are any cheaper than in Dublin, except perhaps for property.

Btw, dont fool yourself that monopolies and cartels are solely an Irish phenomenon. The consensus in France and Germany is that their economies have been all but strangled in the past decade by restrictive practices and excessive government regulation.

next week aldi have a HP printer for €79.99. The exact make and model in is the index catalogue for £84 sterling.

Back