LIDL price variance IRL v France

getoffthepot

LIDL are selling a tower fan in Coolock for 24.99, same fan in France was 16.99 when I was there last week.
6 x 500ml tonic water in France was 1.29 - 2.99 in Coolock.
Freeway 2 litre Coke 42c. 79 c here.(330ml cans of freeway coke were 17c not available here)
Pistachio nuts 1.29 in France 2.99 here

We are being screwed.

Same with Aldi- the prices in France are far lower than here. I was over there a few months ago, and dropped in to Aldi to get some confectionary- I cant remember exactly the difference, just that it was far cheaper. I suppose transport costs come into it- it must be cheaper to transport to mainland europe than to here?

Some possible reasons...
Transport costs
Wages
possibly VAT - 21% v ??
Rates & govt levies
Insurance
Regulatory costs

Just to let you know, France has just gotten rid of the law against below cost selling, so theres no point compareing grocery prices between them and us.

ubiquitous said:
Some possible reasons...
Transport costs
Wages
possibly VAT - 21% v ??
Rates & govt levies
Insurance
Regulatory costs

Another reason, and Dell have stated this publically, is that they charge more in Ireland than other European countries because they, companies, know that the Irish consumer is going to pay the higher prices.

Why charge less, when they know that they'll get more from Irish consumers who'd rather have than have not, despite the price.

ronan_d_john said:
Another reason, and Dell have stated this publically, is that they charge more in Ireland than other European countries because they, companies, know that the Irish consumer is going to pay the higher prices.

Why charge less, when they know that they'll get more from Irish consumers who'd rather have than have not, despite the price.
I also believe this is the answer and it applies to most catagories of goods sold in IRL.

Isn't it relative anyway, if Aldi and Lidl are supplying goods cheaper than Supervalu, Tesco etc, then we feel like we are getting a deal? If people will pay the prices, then they will be charged those prices

Where did they say this?

Afaik, computers are no dearer here than in the North for example.

Stobear is right, but I say thank goodness we have Lidl and Aldi here, otherwise our own "domestic" operators would have upped the ante considerably in relation to price inflation. Until Aldi and Lidl gain a more significant market share high prices in general are here to stay.

It's the same with Lidl and Aldi in Spain, the difference can even be 100%. Eg a very yummy selection of chocolate cakes that sell in Lidl here for €1.39 each and are only 0.69 in Lidl in Torrevieja in Spain

10 - 15% is understandable, any more is a rip-off .
Its a bitter disappointment.
I went out of my way to back Lidl/Aldi against the cartel that operated before they came.
Don`t feel as much loyalty now.

If you think they are a huge difference between Lidl/Aldi France and Lidl/Aldi Ireland, the difference is even bigger with Lidl/Aldi Germany.

to be honest food prices in Spain are very cheap compared to here anyway, no matter whether you are in Lidl or another chain.

In relation to Germany, it may be due to the fact that both Lidl and Aldi have a huge ammount of shops there, so they are in more competition to each other than here, and they are also in big competition with other discount chains that exist in germany, which do not exist here ( I cannot remember the names of these chains but there are several which are even cheaper than Aldi and Lidl and are very widespread there). Also Germans are a lot more price-conscious that us Irish, which is why we will happily pay a lot more for the same thing and not question it. On the flip side to this, in regard to Spain, wages generally in Spain are a lot less than here, so it is bound to be the case that groceries etc are cheaper there than here ( I have found that clothes however are no longer that cheap there, but that is a different story )
Perhaps it is also a bit of a snobbish thing here . I know several people who will never admit to shopping in Lidl, but who I know shop there regularly. Silly attidute but it does exist.

I have to agree with Carpenter and Stobear. Without the entry of these to the Irish market, we would be paying a lot more than elsewhere for groceries, as Tescos, Dunnes, etc only brought down their prices due to competition from these German chains. So, okay we are paying more than in Spain , but we would be paying a lot more again if they were not here and we were still relying on the UK and Irish chains !!

I suggest you get a Ryanair flight to France or Spain, do you shopping, and flight back :)
Shopping becomes fun, and you can even make a week-end out of it :cool:

bacchus said:
I suggest you get a Ryanair flight to France or Spain, do you shopping, and flight back :)
Shopping becomes fun, and you can even make a week-end out of it :cool:

The perfect plan.. except for the bloody taxes and charges at Dublin Airport that seem to make a 99c flight cost €20 each way!

Lidl here charge €6.99 for a six pack of Bergadlier German beer and is only 2.59 at Lidl in Torrevieja, Spain

Mumha said:
Lidl here charge €6.99 for a six pack of Bergadlier German beer and is only 2.59 at Lidl in Torrevieja, Spain

Yep, saw the 6 pack of Bergadlier beer in Lidl Ventimiglia, Italian Riviera for 1.99!!

>> Does it apply to your employer or business?

Not mine. But I don't see the relevance of your point either way.

According to Eddie Hobbs a recent comparisonson of a Basket of Groceries in Ireland and in Europe even allowing for ALL of the usual excuses VAT, Rates, Insurance, Transport, Labout, etc, etc, etc, and on the other side the Lower Corporation tax.
The extent of the "Premium" being charged in Ireland was still over 20%.

Check out the first episode of Rip Off Republic for more details.

The Overcharging issue is often dismissed on these boards as "Shop Around", or "they charge those prices because we pay them" ergo no Rip-Off. Well it's not that simple. Virtually all of the reasons why we have a high cost of living here compared to other countries is the way our country is being run.

Bottom line folks, I've been saying it here for it seems like years now. Your taxes are high, your cost of living is high, your public services are poor, your general customer service is poor. You are rapidly heading for European style Taxation and American style public services.

What other country in the world would look at neighbours like ours, some of the most vibrant and exciting places on earth, and take the worst from all of them?

We've been sold a pup.

-Rd

Back