Liam Doran of the INO telling us all to back off and keep our mouths shut

Mpsox

For anyone who has a view or an opionion or has posted any comments (one way or another) on the PS potential cuts, you're all going to have to stop doing that because a trade union leader want us all to shut up and back off
http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1203/partnership.html
Isn't it nice to see that our trade union leaders believe in freedom of speech in this country. ?
Do they not realise that the publice sector wages are paid for by the public via our taxes?

If this is the level of intelligence and negotiating skills in the trade unions in Ireland, I wonder why anyone pays their membership.

Or was he simply stressed out because (boo hoo) the unions for once do not seem to be getting their way?

well, it's nice to see mr. doran's opinion of people whose taxes he is very well paid from ...

Here's the link for those who missed it on the news today.

It's obvious that the unions are running the country. Why do we all sit back and watch this unfold and do/say nothing?

If this is the level of intelligence and negotiating skills in the trade unions in Ireland, I wonder why anyone pays their membership.
you could have said that about the guy who threatened to bring the country down in the electricians strike some months back - still they get what they want and the taxpayer foots the bill every time.

that guy Doran has always struck me as the most militant and hard lined of the union officials that have spent these last 10 years telling our dear government what to do.

Well boys and girls I can see you’ve been working yourselves up into a right tizzy here this evening!

Actually I’m looking for some seed capital - thinking of bringing out a line of special (life size ;)) voodoo dolls for x-mass of all your favourite union bosses no less.

Imagine the hours of em err ... fun private sector peeps could have with one of these!

They’ll have special stick on beards too as an option (at extra cost of course) if you’re interested ....

For anyone who has a view or an opionion or has posted any comments (one way or another) on the PS potential cuts, you're all going to have to stop doing that because a trade union leader want us all to shut up and back off
http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1203/partnership.html
Isn't it nice to see that our trade union leaders believe in freedom of speech in this country. ?

Or was he simply stressed out because (boo hoo) the unions for once do not seem to be getting their way?

Or you could look at it from another point of view, he was sick of constant misrepresentations from various sources that were contrary to the unions stance;

eg Indo articles talking about 2 weeks privellege leave (?), statements that Public Servants haven't taken any pay cuts so far, traffic tailbacks into Newry on the strike day were reported as being due to Public workers... etc etc

Why wouldn't he put forward the union view ? That's what he's paid to do.

Do they not realise that the publice sector wages are paid for by the public via our taxes?

Public servants pay tax too. Also I've never heard anyone make snide remarks to barmen / shopkeepers / taxi drivers along the lines of "I pay your wages, don't you know"...

yeah gianni, but my wages are not paid from the taxes - neither are those of barmen, taxi drivers and shopkeepers - so if a union rep of p servants tells me to shut up then it feels like being spit in my face ...

Maybe whats happening in Aer Lingus is making them nervous. The cosy relationship may be on its last legs

Or you could look at it from another point of view, he was sick of constant misrepresentations from various sources that were contrary to the unions stance;

eg Indo articles talking about 2 weeks privellege leave (?), statements that Public Servants haven't taken any pay cuts so far, traffic tailbacks into Newry on the strike day were reported as being due to Public workers... etc etc

Why wouldn't he put forward the union view ? That's what he's paid to do.

Public servants pay tax too. Also I've never heard anyone make snide remarks to barmen / shopkeepers / taxi drivers along the lines of "I pay your wages, don't you know"...

If he believes there was constant misrepresentations, then why doesn't he say so? Or can he say it given that privalege days exist in much of the public sector?. I don't like the Indo attitude and approach but much of what they have been saying has a factual basis to it.

Are you also saying that the official INO view is that everyone should "shut up"? I was speaking to some family members who were in the INO last night, they're furious at what he said, felt it totally undermined their position with the public

And why shouldn't I have a say where my taxes are spent and how they are spent, surely one of the foundations of any democracy should be openess, free speech and transparancy?

yeah gianni, but my wages are not paid from the taxes - neither are those of barmen, taxi drivers and shopkeepers - so if a union rep of p servants tells me to shut up then it feels like being spit in my face ...

The union reps wages are paid by union members.

I'm making the point that everyones wages are paid by someone else yet the same old "my taxes pay your wages" argument is rolled out only in connection to public servants.

I pay the wages of my local carpenter, I pay the wages of the people working for my internet provider, I pay the wages of my local doctor, I pay the wages of my local bookies...

Who pays your wages haminka ?

... I pay the wages of my local carpenter ...
You have a choice of carpenters and if you don't have any current carpentry projects, his / her cost to you is zero.
... I pay the wages of the people working for my internet provider, ...
If you cancel your contract the on-going cost to you is zero, and you have a choice of options, fixed, mobile, wireless, etc
... I pay the wages of my local doctor ...
You possibly pay three times if your doctor has a public service HSE contract :

• PRSI and Helth Levies (doctor gets paid whether you attend or not)
  • Health Insurance
  • Attendance Fees in Cash
Some of this cost may come back to you through various repayment schemes, some may not, but there is a significant net cost to you even if you never see a doctor.
... I pay the wages of my local bookies ...
Only because you lose so much to him; if you were winning he'd pay your wages and you could retire from the PS. :D

I'm making the point that everyones wages are paid by someone else yet the same old "my taxes pay your wages" argument is rolled out only in connection to public servants.

I pay the wages of my local carpenter, I pay the wages of the people working for my internet provider, I pay the wages of my local doctor, I pay the wages of my local bookies...
You can choose which carpenter to use and go elsewhere if he is too expensive. You can choose which internet provider to use and go elsewhere if it is too expensive. You can choose which doctor to use and go elsewhere if he is too expensive. You can choose which bookies to use and go elsewhere if they are too expensive. What can we do about a public sector that is just too expensive for the country to pay for? The only options are commenting/lobbying etc. - or leaving the country.

I remember the last time the nurses went on strike/threatened to go on strike. They were looking for a 10% pay increase and a 12% reduction in their working hours. That’s a 25% per hour pay increase. At that stage the country was already going down the plug hole and they still had no problem looking to suck more money away from patient services, infrastructure and new technology. At that time Mr. Doran faced the cameras and brazenly argued for such a massive pay increase, that’s the same Mr. Doran that before and since has taken every opportunity to pontificate and all and sundry about funding shortfalls in patient services and A&E. He and his members know well that the reason the money isn’t there is because they took it! He’s a hypocrite of the highest order.

Who pays your wages haminka ?

the company i work for, gianni - and it's because it has enough customers and considers my work good enough to pay me for it ..
yes, you pay the wages of the local carpenter - but only if you decide to use their services - the same for the internet provider - if you are unhappy, you choose another company because you CAN choose - this is called the competition ...
what choice do i have with public services?

Back