Liability for children running along boundary wall?

S

shug02

Anyone been in a similar situation and got suggestions?

I occupy an end house of a row in a housing estate still undergoing expansion. Our section has been built for approx. 3 years so is relatively mature(!)

There are a lot of 4-14 year old kids running about and they have discovered due to the layout of the houses there is a very handy shortcut between two cul de sacs to be found by jumping up on a 7ft high wall and running along it between houses. Mine is one of the houses which has this wall as a boundary.

Obviously I am concerned that should a child fall into my back garden and injure themselves I might be held liable.

What options do I have? Things I have considered;

1.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Writing to the builder to request modifications to the wall to prevent the kids getting up on it e.g. make it 2ft higher.
2.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Having the builder write to the residents to request parents keep their kids off the wall. (Doesn’t solve my liability concerns)
3.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Putting a barrier on the wall at some point to block the route (opens me up for more liability should someone fall at the barrier)

Any suggestions/opinions?

Shug02

get a bucket of that anti climb paint

Shug,

You should get some of that anti climb paint
It is greasy stuff, you see it on schools.

Apply it where the kids are getting access to the wall to get up on it

Should be able to get it at hardware suppliers I reckon

Maybe ask the local council for advice, insurance company. Maybe all it would take is a sign? Don't really know but sympathise with situations like this. good luck in resolving your problem.

There is a Liability section on all household policies.
Your problem may be covered under this section.
Contact your insurance company to make sure it is covered. Get their response in writing.

Boundry

What are you talking about insurance and liability for. Either build the wall up, cover it with grease, or put a load of glass on top of it.

Why are you looking for hassle??

While many people do it I think that putting glass/nails etc. on the top of a wall may be dodgy from an insurance/risk point of view.

... also - if you put grease or non drying paint I think that you're technically obliged to put up signs warning of this. Check with your insurance company or the Gardaí. They should be able to advise you on the letter of the law in this context.

Exactly!

I cannot put glass, razor wire etc, on top of the wall as it doesn't matter if they are wrong to get up there, trespasing etc. if they cut their hand trying to get up there then you can be helf responsible - great system eh?!!

Building the wall up impacts neighbours etc. so that has to be approved etc.

By the way even warning signs do not offer protection - insurance companies usually settle out of court and up your premium rather than incur the legal costs.

Good to hear the options however.

Shug

can be held responsible

Yes, you have a duty of care to the general public and you cant introduce a dangerous hazard (grease, broken glass, electric fence, croc infested moat etc) and expect not to be responsible. However I have seen people plant throny plants at the base of such walls and they have been effective and have not led to problems.

ajapale

Back