Letting property, the PRTB & BER Cert. Is BER cert compulsory / tax deductable?.

I'm at risk of going a little off topic here, but I resurrected the thread about BER because I'm trying to figure out what exactly I need to spend between lettings to improve my chances of getting a new tenant.

Could I ask which of these costs (between lettings) are tax deductible please:

BER assesment : - yes
Plumbing repairs : - yes
Electrical repairs : - yes
Chimney Sweep : - yes/no
Painter : - yes/no
Lawn repairs : - yes/no
Power washing paths : - yes/no
Cleaning out gutters : - yes/no
Sanding & varnishing worn wooden floors : - yes/no

Thanks a million,
/M.

Hi Manuel,

I would consider all of the expenses you have listed above to be repairs and maintenance and would deduct them accordingly. You'll probably need to service the boiler as well.

Sybil

Revenue aren't exactly black on white on that
But this work is carried out as part of grant aided government incentive scheme

The "better energy home" scheme.

Looking at the landlord forums and responses to similar queries I found the answer to be positive on this.

http://www.irishlandlord.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1673 (Sorry, I realise its a redirect to another forum)

I'm double-check with accountant but I'm pretty sure the net figure will be down as tax deductable.

"You'll probably need to service the boiler as well."??

Steady on Mrs Vimes :p

Manuel didn't ask what should he have done to his property. What a bossy boots!!!

Agree with Mrs Vimes, thats all maintenance.

I'm very surprised at that poster's response, I would have thought it a clear improvement. Possibly best to check with Revenue or a professional tax adviser rather than relying on conflicting answers on internet fora.

I'd be interested to hear the "official" response when you get one.

Sybil

Crossed with you Lollipop! Yes, I've been called bossy before alright :D

Back