Letter to The Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland RE Insulating Roof/Attic Spaces

onq

The below is the text of a letter I wrote today to the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland regarding their advice on insulating roof/attic spaces which is self explanatory.
As usual, I don't think my comments are definitive, and you'll see the odd weasel word like "may" in use because I haven't done empirical research on this.

The assumptions used by the SEAI in offering their advice which is currently on their website do not seem reflect the experience of some AAM and Boards.ie readers.
I thought it might be appropriate to raise this matter now in time for the coming Winter so as not be caught flat-footed in the middle of another deep freeze.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matter at hand.

===============================================

The Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland,
Wilton Park House, Wilton Place, Dublin 2

RE: Insulating Roof/Attic Spaces

Dear SEAI Staff,

On your website at [broken link removed] you note the following -

The options available to you for insulating your attic depend on whether you would like to insulate at ceiling level or at the rafters (at the slope of the roof). The attic should be insulated at the rafters only if you intend to use the area as a living space as it the heat will rise through the uninsulated ceiling into the attic and it is wasteful to keep the attic heated. Typically, Irish attics are not used as living spaces so detailed below are the measures available for insulating at ceiling level.

I beg to differ.

I post to a website called [broken link removed] in the Sites, Planning, Self-Builds and Extensions Forum and I also read occasionally over on Boards.ie.
Last Winter many posts originated from people who installed the 300mm of quilted insulation on the flat in their attic space i.e. not following the line of the roof.

In a timber frame wall with breather paper facing the cavity or in a sloped roof with close fitting HD insulation between rafters, condensate can drain or vent.
However, unlike a sloping roof or vertical wall detail, which promotes ventilation, its possible an attic space may experience still air conditions in Winter.

Moisture migrating into the attic space through downlighters or badly sealed ventilators or poor jointing is therefore not taken away.
In a freezing attic it may gather on any cold surface including the underside of boxes, felt, roof joists, etc. leading to problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I know you will appreciate that many people who do not have rooms in the roof still use the attic for a storage facility.
Stored goods and materials are thus at risk from extremes of temperature (not insulation above them) and moisture.

Thus I have suggested that people insulated following the line of the roof per Diagram 11, P. 28 TGD Part F.
I bring this to your attention in case you are not getting sufficient feedback about your advice noted above.

I have copied this to the RIAI for mention in any CPD comments they may issue to Architects.
Facing into the winter once again, it may be appropriate to take this on board.

Yours sincerely,

Back