Letter confirming employment for US holiday

Highlander

Heading to the US next week for a 2 week holiday. It has been suggested to me today that as I'm only 22years of age I should bring a letter confirming that I am in full-time permenant employment as evidence that I intend to return after the two week period.

Is this necessary, as I haven't seen reference to it anywhere before? Has anybody ever been asked for such a letter on arrival in the US?

Thanks

Not required but certainly not a bad idea to have it. If you are flying direct (non-stop) from Dublin or Shannon to the States its likely you'll clear US INS here in Ireland before you leave otherwise you'll clear it on arrival in the US.

You'll be traveling under the visa-waiver program and as such waive any rights to objection etc for being denied entry. It's not uncommon to see a few people refused daily in Dublin airport and it can be for a variety of reasons included nothing but suspicion on the officers part.

Your return ticket and sufficient cash for the trip is normally all they need to see but I don't think there's any harm in bringing the letter. Don't offer it up unless you're pulled for further questions though no point flagging youself unneccesarily.

Myself and my wife both got letters from work, when we went on a 10 day holiday to the states a few years ago, although we didn't need to produce them. No travel agent told us to get them, but a friend said that they may be useful.

Important thing with these guys is answer only what you are asked and don't offer extra info.

The main things are:

1. return ticket
2. adequate funds
3. Not over stayed in the USA.

I am a bit cynical about why US immigration is based in Ireland, I don't think its for our good. More like Aerlingus's good of not having to ship back refused ppl free and avoiding a $2000 a head fine on each deportee.

Believe me INS ain't here in Ireland for the good of Aer Lingus (besides every transatlantic carrier can and does avail of the service).

In fact every couple of year they threaten to pull out again since it cost them money to base it here and while some of the guys and girls working there like it here most of them would rather be home in the good old US of A :D

It's mainly a throwback from years ago but only Ireland and Canada have this 'pre-departure' ins facility for the States and it's very useful. If the US administration had it's way it would be gone in the morning and we could join the queue on arrival in the States (which is bloody awful, once had the displeasure of arriving into LAX immediatly after 2 747s had beaten us to the gate, both early and 4 INS desks open to handle the lot. 3 hours later we got in :( , just glad I didn't have a connecting flight that day.)

I agree Bond-007, only what asked....and nothing more. Got the letter though, just in case.

I was always of the opinion though that we had to go through immigration/customs on arrival in the states. Is it possible to get all that out of the way here before leaving? We'll be flying from Shannon though.....maybe that facility is only available in Dublin?

So, does that mean that if we do all that here we can bypass all the immigration/customs in the US? We have a connecting flight out of Newark, and only about 2 hours to make it and I was worried that we wouldn't have time. I presume we'll still have to collect our bags though and re-check them for our connecting flight?

Highlander said:
So, does that mean that if we do all that here we can bypass all the immigration/customs in the US? We have a connecting flight out of Newark, and only about 2 hours to make it and I was worried that we wouldn't have time. I presume we'll still have to collect our bags though and re-check them for our connecting flight?

You will have to collect your bags in Newark and clear customs there.
You will have completed your immigration and customs forms in Shannon.
Once you have gone through customs (shouldn't take long, unless your bags are searched) there will be an area to hand back your bags which should have been tagged to your final destination in Shannon.

Back