Let Go from Job - Getting a Reference

susie1

Hi,
I was given 6 wks notice in my job, so my boss could put someone else in my position - his wife (i'm not there 12 months). he said he would give me a reference no problem, however he's not come forward with it.

Am i legally entitled to get one, or can he choose to not give me one for no reason.

Note: I in total worked 7yrs for this guy - 3 different company's, and got p45 from each, so its not like i was only with this co. for a few months with no prior history etc.

He doesn't have to give you one.

All he has to do is not lie if he does.

Perhaps he is worried you may take a case against him about the dismissal. If you clarified that he may be happier about the situation.

If there was a break of less than 3 months between each of the employments you have been unfairly dismissed. He owes you a lot more than a reference this being the case and you can take your claim to the EAT for redundancy payment.

If not the above, once he commits to giving a reference to any company that asks on your behalf, that should suffice. Written references are not really considered anymore, and if received will be followed up with a call/email to verify.

Company 1 - 5yrs employment, was made redundant,
Company 2 - started 1wk later, lasted 1yr, was transfered straight away into company 3..

I did speak to the employments rights people and they said i've no chance of unfair dismissal as the 3rd company only employed me for 6mths. I would need a minimum of 12mths to have any rights to this...

Back