Les lacs du Connemara (The Lakes of Connemara) - Song

Leper

We've just returned from two weeks in the south of France (house swap). We enjoyed some of the local customs, food, wine and song. The French group of singers used to finish up with the National Anthem of France every night. But, before that they'd sing Les Lacs Du Connemara and give it plenty of welly. I never heard of the song before and am surprised to see how popular it is in France. Have a listen on YouTube. It's good stuff!!!!!!

My VM TV package includes French language station TV5 Europe... randomly will stumble across music and parades featuring the Celtic regions of France.

Strange connections :)

I never heard of the song before and am surprised to see how popular it is in France
Wonder would it be anything to do with the twinning of towns between Ireland and France
By any chance was where you were staying twinned with somewhere in Connemara

I never heard of the song before and am surprised to see how popular it is in France.
That can happen. If you go to a Munster Rugby match you may hear a song about a place in Connacht. Sometimes people in one place sing about a nicer place somewhere else ;)

Wonder would it be anything to do with the twinning of towns between Ireland and France
By any chance was where you were staying twinned with somewhere in Connemara

Don't think there's any twinning connection. The singer, Michel Sardou, is a very big deal in France - and this is probably is best known song. From what I recall, he wrote it before he had even visited Ireland. Great tune.

Back