Legality of Speeding Fine

Latrade

Following the decision that some speeding summonses relating to certain sections of the M1 and N4 were struck off due to the local authorities not posting the changes in limits through official channels, see:
[broken link removed]

How does this relate to fines and penalty points that have been issued and the individual accepted the fine?

For example, as described in the article, the M1 drops from 120 to 80 after the Airport roundabout. Sometimes on a Sunday, on the hard shoulder after the slip road at the Airport onto the M1 or further along near the Coolock exit, there is a Garda van. I was recorded doing 88 in the 80 zone (similar to 55 in a 50). While slightly miffed that if a garda was driving along side me, it's unlikely that I would have been stopped, there's still no argument: I was over the 80 so I accepted the fixed penalty. Yeah I know, big of me.

However, does this current situation (which I don't think is finalised) mean that it is just the summonses currently before the courts that are affected, or does it relate to all notices since the limits changed: challenged or accepted?

It's only 2 points and though I resent the blemish on my clean record of the last 15 years, I'm not too fussed. Still if where there's a technicality. I'm always keen to exploit.

I would exploit it too. Councils need to be held to account and do things properly and legally. That's why the UK has such good signage and we, don't. I believe RTE reported that people who had pled guilty to offences commited along these affected stretches of roadway would be entitled to appeal and seek refund of fines paid and elimination of penalty points.

Exactly the same happened to me a few months back, on the stretch between the port tunnel exit and the airport- 2 points and a fine. Anybody know the procedure to claim a refund and get the points quashed?

Has anyone had any success doing this yet?

I called the Fixed Charge Processing Office last week,They are still awaiting a final decision on this...

At the moment there no refunds or points being removed. I personally would not hold my breath that will change in the near future!! My reading of that article is that its the one judge who ruled that way? Most of the others don't see things as she does!!!!

I am very dubious about these fixed vans....I got a nitice in the door last week saying I was over the 50kmh zone on the Portloise rd a few weeks back.

Thats it....that Portlaoise Rd is a good stretch...where on it? I'm not convinced at all. Do I need to contact the local Gardai as I'd like more information?

tosullivan if taken from the van you can get a photo to pinpoint where you were caught? Check with your local station or ring the Fixed Charge Office in Thurles from where the notice comes and they can either supply the photo or direct you to the station where you can get the information you want.

tosullivan if taken from the van you can get a photo to pinpoint where you were caught? Check with your local station or ring the Fixed Charge Office in Thurles from where the notice comes and they can either supply the photo or direct you to the station where you can get the information you want.
thanks....

Called the Fixed Charge Processing Office earlier and was told "All points and fines would remain in place,Even though the Female Judge threw other cases out of court on 17/11/08-19/11/08"
There was me thinking I'd have my 2 points and 80 Euro fine rescinded...

Back