Legal rights regarding LUAS fine?

I don't think that's true. RPA own almost all the platforms too so you're still on their property when they issue the fine.

I think the 'problem' is more to do with the wording of the Act used to issue the fines, rather than who owns the properity. You also have to remember the the RPA does not run the Luas.

If a person is dishonest enough to try to avoid paying a luas fare, wouldnt they just give a false name and address when asked for their details ?? I know its a serious enough thing to risk but whats to stop them.

If I buy a ticket say €2.10 for the Luas in the morning is it valid all day for the one trip. I plan to get it in the morning and use it later that afternoon. I have never been on the Luas. Basically has it a time limit? - I will use it the same day.

If I buy a ticket say €2.10 for the Luas in the morning is it valid all day for the one trip. I plan to get it in the morning and use it later that afternoon. I have never been on the Luas. Basically has it a time limit? - I will use it the same day.

I believe it has a time limit of 90 minutes from the time of purchase. The exception would of course be all day passes, or the like.

EDIT: Just checked the LUAS website and single tickets are valid for ninety minutes from the time of issue. If it's a return trip, the first trip must be completed within 90 minutes of issue. [broken link removed].

I successfully appealed a fine. I received it for not having 'tagged on' when traveling on the Luas. I basically tagged on at 11 pm and went to a shop as the next Luas was not for a 10 minutes. When I came back I tagged on again which effectively was tagging me off. Amazingly I was charged for the fare as per my smart card so I explained in a letter that either you should not be able to tag off at the same stop within a cretain time limit or that it should not cost you anything. I was able to show the inspector my history on the spot regarding the tag on/tag off but they issued a ticket anyway. They accepted my explanation. Lesson I learned was to try and remember tagging on when a bit under the influence.

Far as I know elcato there is a time limit between tags at the same stop. I have tried the double tag at one stop (definitely less than your ten minutes though) and it wouldn't let me tag on or off the second time. (Why? you ask. Because I wasn't able to travel then and as I had tagged on I would have been charged the full four zone fare for not tagging off)

On a side note there was a letter in the Metro a few months ago that said they are only legally allowed to fine people while on the trams. If you get fined after getting off on the platform whey will let you off if you complain.

I once ran into a LUAS inspector near the exit from the platform. By which point people could legitimately have binned tickets or (as in my case!) tagged off. He was standing beyond the last card reader on the platform and was all set to issue me with a fine because obviously I'd "never tagged on". He didn't seem to understand or want to admit that this was a silly place to be checking tickets!

A few weeks ago I tagged on and then heard an announcement that LUASes were delayed "due to a Fun Run near St. James's.". There was no indication of when the next LUAS would be so I walked to my destination and wasn't passed by a LUAS in the same direction during that time. I haven't bothered trying to claim a refund for the journey I didn't make due to the service outage...

Why? you ask. Because I wasn't able to travel then and as I had tagged on I would have been charged the full four zone fare for not tagging off

Ditto, I had to tag off at my destination in the above case to avoid the maximum fare, and couldn't tag off when I started walking.

Far as I know elcato there is a time limit between tags at the same stop. I have tried the double tag at one stop (definitely less than your ten minutes though) and it wouldn't let me tag on or off the second time.
This happened 18 months ago so it looks like they may have taken my advice/suggestion on board.

I once ran into a LUAS inspector near the exit from the platform. By which point people could legitimately have binned tickets or (as in my case!) tagged off. He was standing beyond the last card reader on the platform and was all set to issue me with a fine because obviously I'd "never tagged on". He didn't seem to understand or want to admit that this was a silly place to be checking tickets!
As a matter of interest were you aware that you can insert your card into the machine and press history and your last ten or so logs are there. Amazing the inspector was not aware of this.

were you aware that you can insert your card into the machine and press history and your last ten or so logs are there. Amazing the inspector was not aware of this.

No! It was a few years ago so maybe this feature wasn't available on the machines then. Though as we've already established this particular inspector wasn't thinking very clearly!

Far as I know, both the limitation on the tag on-tag off and the ability to review your history has been available on the smart card from the start.

I was able to show the inspector my history on the spot regarding the tag on/tag off but they issued a ticket anyway.

IMHO this is an indicator of the pressure they are under to reach their daily quota.

I find it very annoying to see people get tickets for silly things like this whilst they allow others to get off and buy a ticket or just put them off the tram. The latter happens regularly on our line with giggly teenagers.

Could be my imagination but I feel that of late there are a lot less inspectors on the red line.

As a matter of interest were you aware that you can insert your card into the machine and press history and your last ten or so logs are there. Amazing the inspector was not aware of this.
Never knew this - thanks for the info. Do you mean the tag on/off machine, or the ticket selling machine?

Never knew this - thanks for the info. Do you mean the tag on/off machine, or the ticket selling machine?

Ticket selling machine. You'll be lucky if you can read the screen with the sun these days. I tried three machines the other day and could not see a thing on any of them because of the strong sunlight. It must also have something to do with the plastic cover on the screen.

If you have a Luas smart card europhile, in order to travel on the tram you have to touch the card to a reader at the start and the end of the journey, that is called "tagging". When you tag on to start the journey, the full fare (four zones for the Red and three zones for the Green line) is deducted from your card balance. When you tag off you are credited the difference between the full fare and the fare to the stop you exit at.

Thanks. I didn't know how it worked.

When are we EVER going to get integrated ticketing in Dublin?

Hi Europhile,

See here for details I often wonder though if the Smart card is worth the bother because regularly forget to tag off and therefore am charged for journey to terminus :D They are handy though if you are running for the tram and don't have to wait to buy a ticket especially at places like Jervis.

Your integrated ticket question is another story.

Back