legal problem

delboy159

I bought a house about 14 months ago. A few months ago I received a letter from the Law Society saying my solicitors firm had closed and they were now holding my file - which I was to pick up. I contacted them about this and it turns out that "a few small things" have not been completed on my file "not big, but necessary". I will need to employ another solicitor to take the file and complete the process.

My issue is two fold
1. I paid my original solicitor to do a job, one which he did not finish. I feel I am entitled to re-imbursement of fees.
2. I will now need to pay a second solicitor to complete a half finished job...

If this were an electrician, plumber etc. I would be fully entitled to bring them to the small claims court for an incomplete job.

The impression I'm getting from the Law Society is get another solicitor and take the bloody file away from us...

What do people think is the best way to approach this. The Law Society are starting to ring me to sort this out, but I don't want to do anything until I have a better idea of what way to move forward.

Write to the law society, point out what you have just said, and ask for a response in writing.

Hi Delboy,
I'm kinda in a similar position. I 'sold' my house 3 months ago but the buyer's solicitor wrote back with 2 whole pages of questions relating to the 'file.' The original solicitor I used to purchase my house didn't, to put it politely, do a good job.

My current solicitor is a friend. On the plus side, he's not going to charge me a fortune but, on the downside, he won't help me to get compensation from the original solicitor.

I'd be grateful if you could keep us informed on your progress. It sounds like I'm a month or so behind you.

It's really annoying that one pays 'professional fees' to one's own solicitor, the bank's solicitor and land registry fees and this sort of thing still happens. My solicitor didn't think it was unusual at all. His feathers did get a bit ruffled when I commented that solicitors buy standard contracts and a checklist from the Law Society!

While I sympathise with folks dealing with solicitors, we need to realise that we are dealing with 19th century processes surrounded by 21st century pricing. In effect, when the Solicitor issues 'an undertaking' in effect the Law Society will pick up the issue(s). The undertaking secures the Bank and it is noted that there are extraordinary delays in Land Registry. This whole thing acts as a break to the proper development of the switcher market. Guess who is paying?

Back