Legal fees for Probate

dino

Hi, just looking for a ballpark figure of how much a solicitor should charge to process a probate and do a property transfer. There was a will.
Also, if a Death in Service Benefit is paid directly to the spouse and family, should this be included in the solicitors %. I am being charged a percentage of the total estate value. However, including the DIS benefit doubles the total value and the solicitor never handled the payment of this.
Should I query it?

Complexity of the estate should be the factor affecting the solicitors fee and not the € value of the estate. I'm not a legal but I'd imagine it's difficult to give you guidance based on the information you've given here. My parents solicitor charged a total of just under €3,000 (incl. VAT and outlays) for my mothers probate. She had around €20,000 in Post Office savings in her own name. Solicitor handled payment of funeral expenses and repayment of Nursing Home Loan. However, same solicitor quoted a range between €24,000 and €26,500 to handle my father's estate (house, car, state savings, bank account - very straightforward) so I did a personal probate application. It took me 10.5 months from time I lodged application and time I received the grant wheres it took the solicitor 18 months to get the grant for my mother's .

Last edited:
However, same solicitor quoted a range between €24,000 and €26,500 to handle my father's estate (house, car, state savings, bank account - very straightforward) so I did a personal probate application. It took me 10.5 months from time I lodged application and time I received the grant wheres it took the solicitor 18 months to get the grant for my mother's .

And then solicitors wonder why there's a perception that their fees are very high.

24-26.5k for a simple probate case!!!!

No wonder the IMF pointed to extortionate legal fees as adding to the lack of competitiveness in Ireland.

No wonder the IMF pointed to extortionate legal fees as adding to the lack of competitiveness in Ireland
Alan Shatter was certainly going to introduce reforms that the Legal profession were lobbying hard to prevent. Of course the legal profession via Mr Guerin played a prominent role in getting rid of Alan Shatter.

Last edited:
Back