Legal apprenticeship: any tips on trying to find a trainee solicitor job

I have an interview for BCM Hanby Wallace, would anyone be able to offer any advice as to what to expect? Im quite nervous about it, particularly the concept of a group interview...

I have an interview for BCM Hanby Wallace, would anyone be able to offer any advice as to what to expect? Im quite nervous about it, particularly the concept of a group interview...

Group interviews are strange things, to be honest. Basically, you’re in a room with about ten other interviewees and the lawyers who are conducting it. They will ask you to introduce yourselves, and then will throw out topics for you to talk about amongst yourselves, which can range from current affairs to something light hearted. Based on this interview, they will invite certain people back for a further individual interview at a later date.

People always wonder how to approach them: should you talk a little or a lot? I would be inclined to think that you’re more likely to talk yourself out of a further interview than into one. I’ve had several group interviews for law firms and I’ve always been struck by how dogmatic people get when debating the topics that are thrown out there. Some people make the mistake of thinking that the interviewers are looking for a really fiery person who argues very effectively. I remember one guy who did a group interview for a big firm with me who was cutting across everyone else and trying to monopolise every conversation. He was very pleased with himself afterwards as he felt that he’d “won” the debate and impressed the interviewers with his rhetoric. He’d missed the point completely: the lawyers who are conducting these interviews really don’t care what you think about global warming, the planning tribunals or Santa Claus’s labour policies. What they’re actually looking to see is how you interact with the other interviewees and how you conduct yourself in a stressful situation. Basically, they are deciding whether or not they could see themselves working with you.

Therefore, the most important thing to remember is that the interviewers are not listening to what you’re saying; they’re watching how you’re acting. Don’t be “that really talkative guy/girl”! It is important to contribute, but confine yourself to one comment per topic max. Keep it simple, clear and avoid rambling on. Preferably, respond to something someone else has said rather than make the first remark. It goes down well to preface this with “As John/Jane was saying...” or whatever, because it shows that you were listening to what others were saying. Don’t worry about being completely up to date about current affairs etc; as long as you are not completely clueless about what’s going on in the world you’ll be fine. Also, be aware of your body language: I saw one guy whose hands were literally shaking, which was clearly noticed by the interviewers. They were undoubtedly thinking that someone who was this nervous wouldn’t be able to handle a real pressure situation.

Anyway, hope that helps and best of luck.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want to discuss this further.

Hey,
Anyone have a Dillon Eustace Interview yet, any thoughts on it/what was it like.....

just wondering when dillon eustace sent word on interviews, didnt even bother sending me a rejection letter. this job hunting is starting to get really annoying now.

just wondering when dillon eustace sent word on interviews, didnt even bother sending me a rejection letter. this job hunting is starting to get really annoying now.
Got a phone call a couple of days before Xmas.Interview's on Wednesday.Yea there were no letters involved,it was all email and phone calls...dunno if it's cost cutting or eco awareness or what!

I've a second interview with Maples and Calder this week. Does anyone have any idea of what this will consist of?, the girl in HR said it would be ''an informal chat''. The first interview was fairly extensive, lasting over an hour so can't imagine what is left to discuss.

I have a second interview with MOP on wednesday but I unfortunately missed their presentation on the interview process. Does anyone have any idea about what I should expect? I've heard that the second interview can be quite "difficult!"

Anyone have any idea if Frys have got back to the people they want yet...hate waiting for the dreaded letter in the door.

Just got a call from a partner in Frys yesterday offering a place so they're in the middle of getting back to people i think. Good luck!

Well Done...well they havent been back to me so i suppose it will be a letter in the post next week:(:(

Did anyone find their 'hit' rate improving once they had a few fe-1s under their belt? I've none done yet,but still got a few interviews,but that was as far as I got!Fairly gutted,thought the Dillon Eustace one went quite well.Won't have the 8 fe-1s done till next October, so i'm jst gonna have to reapply next yr...but only to the firms recruiting for '09,not '10...don't want to be nearly 30 when I qualify!!

hi everyone!
im currently doing a research masters which will be done in sept. have a 1.1 in law. applied to only 6 companys -got two iinterviews unfortunately wasnyt offered anything. didnt realise how hard this would be. really want to work in dublin. wasnt too interested in working in a small firm but now it looks like i have no choice. at the moment i am going through the law directory and sending out loads of CVs. does this even work? im soo disillusioned with a career in law at thhis stage-i feel like giving up!! i dont know what these firms want!! are there any medium sized firms hiring at the moment or are all of the deadlines passed!?

hey katblue, well done on the 1.1! you could check out mason hayes+curran coz the last time i checked their website it said they accepted cvs all year round and they gave no deadline

hi everyone!
im currently doing a research masters which will be done in sept. have a 1.1 in law. applied to only 6 companys -got two iinterviews unfortunately wasnyt offered anything. didnt realise how hard this would be. really want to work in dublin. wasnt too interested in working in a small firm but now it looks like i have no choice. at the moment i am going through the law directory and sending out loads of CVs. does this even work? im soo disillusioned with a career in law at thhis stage-i feel like giving up!! i dont know what these firms want!! are there any medium sized firms hiring at the moment or are all of the deadlines passed!?
Well your results are more than good enough. Although were in an uni or a private college?

Probably more to do with your interview style/CV layout then anything else. You also need to show you're more than a brain i.e jobs, work experience, sports and hobbies.

p.s. i was fairly unimpressed with mason hayes during their interview process. don't know how keen I'd be to work there.

Hi! First of all, my best wishes to everybody . I have been living in Ireland for more than 3 years and I had had a very good experience there in every aspect of my live. I am a junior Spanish solicitor now and I am willing to move to Ireland in the near future. Is anybody there in a similar situation? I mean, qualified Solicitor from another EU State moving to Ireland? Thank you !

WOW! I completed my 2.1 BL Degree in 2004 and finished the FE1s and Irish exam in June, am living in Lodon now - doing a job totally unrelated to law - and had planned on sending out some cvs over the next couple of weeks intending to be in Blackhall by October - from what has been posted i see this is actually incredibly unrealistic! Thing is though I worked as a legal secretary in a law firm for 1 1/2 years (while doing the fe1s) and to be honest - I am in no rush to go back to that environment. I love my new job, the people are so nice and not ego-maniacs like most solicitors (and I work in Mayfair - THE poshest area of London). I kno i would make more money as a qualified solicitor but my new employers have started me off on €35,000 and i quiet enjoy not feeling like a piece of dirt! would I be a fool to walk away from it all now???? How do we feel about LLMs? I was offered the LLM in UCC but turned it down on the advice of a solicitor (whose opinion i really would trust) in my old office who told me they're a waste of time really as employers judge you mainly on your degree. I always preferred the academic side of law so I still havent ruled out the idea of doing one... God - I thought I'd be Alley McBeal by now - damn american tv- makes it look a lot more straight-forward!!!!! Im really glad i found this site - its nice to know im not the only one having difficulties. Good luck everyone!!! Nicki

Hi all,

I am currently studying for an LLM having completed my law degree last year graduating with a 1.1. I know it is early in theyear to be applying for apprenticeship positions (or is it?) so I was wondering what are the advantages of applying for an internship position in the meantime. Will significantly it increase my chances of success when it comes to getting an apprenticeship position? Also, what is the competition like for internships? Not as bad as apprenticeships I hope!! I am also worried as I have no work experience in the legal field- the only experience I have is 5/6 years waitressing/bartending. Will they look down their nose at that?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Can anyone recommend a revision course for the FEI exam in Oct. I believe Stanhope Street course is not longer on,

Back