Legal Advice - Employment Law (Wages)

Harleen

I was wondering if somebody could point me in the direction of where I should go for legal advice on the below? I'm not sure how I should approach it or whether I should approach it at all.

My former employer had a union bring a case to the rights commissioner in relation to unfair wage circumstances, basically the employer gave the staff a pay increase but refused to give the increase to the staff of a subsidiary. Yesterday, after a very drawn out case, a mediator for the rights commissioner found in favour of the union and now the employer has to pay the members of the union a lump sum (A little less than 50% of the work force at the time the complaint was raised). Former employees that were also part of the union and worked there during that period are also entitled to the lump sum.

I was not one of the members of the union but worked for the employer under the same circumstances during the same period of time in question. I have ceased employment with the employer a little under a year now.

I was wondering if anybody here would know who I should contact in relation to getting advice on whether I can pursue this further? I was recently told I should get myself a solicitor but I'm not sure if this is the right step or whether there is a limited time frame on when these complaints can be made. Although from what I've heard if the union members receive it then it would be discrimination if the employer didn't do the same for all staff. I have no knowledge of the legal system so I am completely in the dark.

Last edited:
You don't need a solicitor the fact you are non union is irrelevant. If the employer settles with the union then they should with you too. If they don't bring your own case to rights comissioner

Yes, its actually more complicated I thought you were working there still...there are time limits to bring cases to a rights comissioner. If this was more than a year ago you worked there you should speak to a solicitor as its more complicated

Yeah I was thinking that and the original case was brought to the rights commissioner back in 2009 and has been going on for 6 years so I'm not sure I can bring another complaint to the rights commissioner as I think there's a 12 mth cut of for complaints

Back