Leg waxing

gongey

i'm getting my legs waxed for charity. I was wondering is there any before and after medication I should be thinking about or ways to numb the pain? what exactly should I expect?!!

if you want to pm and donate, i'll give you the detail, links and the You tube site for verification.

It's not too bad. Bit like pulling off a plaster over in a jiffy. Some people take a couple of painkillers about an hour before. If the hair is shorter it is also less sore.

Painkiller beforehand, good idea! Also, try and have something cool to hand to help take the sting out, cold press sort of idea. It's also nice if immediatly after the "rip" some pressure is applied to the area, a hand for a few seconds..ask the one doing it.

Im assuming you're a guy so telling you not to get it done in the first couple of days of "that time of the month" would be pretty pointless.:rolleyes:

Exfoliate previously by either rubbing vigourously with a facecloth while washig or using a body brush or loofah. After you shower the day before you could rub in some almond oil, but not the day of the waxing, the skin should not be coated in anything that day, a parecetemol maybe an hour or so beforehand if you have a low pain threshold, when your hair regrows you may have in-grown hairs which are a bigger pain than the waxing, so back to exfoliation for a few weeks after!...have fun!

posters thanks,

yes i am a man. men have times of the month too though:)

some strange words i don't recognise above, namely exfoliate, body brush, loofah and almond oil - can these be bought in a regular hardware store?

There is a product called 'No Scream Cream' which is supposed to numb the area. have never tried this stuff so can't attest to it actually being any good: [broken link removed]

Good luck!

Gongey
Exfoliation afterwards is key, there is nothing worse than ingrown hairs, they itch like the devil and like gillarosa said are more hassle than the waxing itself.
Simple has a shower gel with built-in exfoliant (there are other shower gel brands also which do the same), or you could mix seasalt - bigger crystals than regular salt - with oils for the same effect. I would recommend buying a proper exfoliant over the shower gel ones through, they are a bit more effective. Skip past the hardware store with your silky-smooth waxed legs into Boots or the like to pick some up!

Gongey
Skip past the hardware store with your silky-smooth waxed legs into Boots or the like to pick some up!

Conjured up a brief vision of a builder in shorts and toecapped boots......ok, will leave it there. Some things are probably best not shared! :D

Prepare yourself for some pain. My advice to you is to *make sure* the person who will be doing it is an expert and knows to apply immediate cream / pressure to the area to help deaden the pain.

my recommendation, exfoliate well the day before / morning of, a couple of ibuprofen about 60 min before hand, make sure the wax post is kept switched on if they are few of you being done(keeping the temprratur at the right level), and relax....
Ok that last bit is the hardest bit, but sometimes thinking it will be painful makes you hypersensitive.... just close your eyes, deep breathing and think of charity.

Good luck

Had it done a few years ago on on leg for charity too. I've fairly hairy legs and there was no pain whatsoever, no worse than donating blood or indeed removing the plaster they used to put on your arm afterwards.

I imagine ones scrotum would be a different kettle of fish.

Had it done a few years ago on on leg for charity too. I've fairly hairy legs and there was no pain whatsoever, no worse than donating blood or indeed removing the plaster they used to put on your arm afterwards.

I imagine ones scrotum would be a different kettle of fish.

Yeah, the lower leg is a piece of cake, hair removal elsewhere has varying degrees of discomfort, its due to the relative tightness of skin on the lower leg, the looser the skin the more painful it may be.

debunked the theory that waxing is painful, I actually enjoyed it, especially the arm-pits. The beautician was in a bit of a frenzy though, couldn't smell fear or see pain so she tried a few underhanded manoevers to catch me off guard but I was onto the wily vixen. I think my feet were the sorest, possibly my sideburns next. chest and legs were fine. alcohol does help I must add. charity was the winner.

debunked the theory that waxing is painful, I actually enjoyed it, especially the arm-pits. The beautician was in a bit of a frenzy though, couldn't smell fear or see pain so she tried a few underhanded manoevers to catch me off guard but I was onto the wily vixen. I think my feet were the sorest, possibly my sideburns next. chest and legs were fine. alcohol does help I must add. charity was the winner.

Wow Gongey, I'm really impressed, sorry to have underestimated you but had assumed they were just going to tear a few strips off your lower leg, get exfolialiating now!!!

Don't forget to use moisturising cream after you exfoiliate, every time you exfoliate. It's an important part of the exfoliating thing.

Well done!

Back