Leaving passport applications until last minute

Whether you want to have an up-to-date passport "just in case" is clearly your own business. However, if you choose not to, it's unreasonable to assume that State services primary fucntion is to your respond as necessary to you last minute panic.

It's not unreasonable to expect a particular service if the State actually offer this service.

It's not unreasonable to expect a particular service if the State actually offer this service.

This is the point. They don't "offer" a 24 hour or even two-day turnaround service but they have always done their best to respond to last minutes "emergencies" as required.

That people may have since come to regard this as something of an entitlement is the reason for the current queues.

Firstly why is this thread on shooting the breeze?

No where does it say that passports are at the compliment of those who issue them.

That includes emergency ones.

This is a right to each and every citizen, and you are very wrong to say we have come to regard this as an entitlement,IT IS AN ENTITLEMENT!

Unless you tell me that it is not part of the passport offices remit to supply emergency passports?

The logical conclusion to draw from your post above is to say that every one of the hundreds of people on the queues for the past week all want emergency passports.

Here is a piece taken from the DFA website;

Public Counter Urgent Fee

Payable, upon proof of urgent travel, for passports required to be issued on the same or next day following application. This fee is in addition to the appropriate passport fee as set out above.

Please note that this is not an 'on demand' service and is only available for same/next day genuine urgent travel

€55 -Adult

€30 -Child

Out of Hours Emergency Service Administration Fee

This is for the issue of a temporary passport of limited validity by the Department's out of hours emergency service.

Subsequently a fresh application must be made for a regular passport along with payment of the appropriate fee as set out.".

It looks to me like ,we can in fact be issued and in fact are entitled to an emergency service if required and not at the whim of the employees of the passport office.

Therefore :
It's not unreasonable to expect a particular service if the State actually offer this service,whether that be an emergency passport or a passport within ten days or one month.

I detect so much resentment towards the public who avail of the service of any of the above that its almost palpable.It is the same in many areas of the public service .

Of course it must be said that the ones who are resentful and militant and jobsworths are the ones who cause the PS to get such a bad name and spoil the atmosphere for the others who have to work among them.

I know this as I was that soldier.

The bully boy tactics employed by the militants among us, frustrate and halt any initiative by the great workers in the PS.

I hope their time is now up and those who want to do a decent days work without this hassle will be the ones who remain.

Staples; It is a great pity that you dont apply the same logic to customers of the passport office!

You responded to :Re: Do banks actutally WANT to lend money these days?

"What would I do? They're retail banks for God's sake! It's their core business. Have they learned nothing from the last few years in terms of the value of protecting their longer term viability and reputation for the sake of short-term opportunism. Do they feel any responsibility or obligation to meet their core customers' needs? For my part, I'm closing my UB accounts and will source future funding elsewhere (I'm not daft enough though to give up my tracker mortgage).

Then why can't they just say so without leading customers on like fools? Perhaps it's because they haven't the guts to say so straight out and that they'd rather the application died of exhaustion before a decision was actually required. What a bunch of spineless, mealy-mouthed muppets."[/QUOTE]

If you change the word Bank to passport office you may get the picture!

The only problem is,we the customers have no choice in where we get our passports,for now anyway...

Last edited:
Of course everyone is entitled to a passport, but they're not entitled to one on demand.

As you've alluded to, there are certain circumstances in which emergency passports may be issued and I note that the passport office is now applying an additional charge for any such circumstance (presumably to reduce the incidence).

As has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, postal applications are still being processed within about four working weeks.

As for my comments on the retail banks, I'm not sure the two situations are analagous. At least the passport office will eventually process your application. The experience with banks and loan applications is a lot more open-ended.

So is the consistent threats from the unions and workers of go slows and strikes.

I don't see and have never seen anyone going in to the passport office and looking for a passport on demand!

See what I mean, confrontational , aggressive and bullying behavior.

Notice the word " I" in my post..

So is the consistent threats from the unions and workers of go slows and strikes.

I don't see and have never seen anyone going in to the passport office and looking for a passport on demand!

Provide back up for this statement................

Where's the rest of this thread?

Somebody has been out with the scissors methinks!

Provide back up for this statement................

Once again, I ,thats "I" ,as in ME as in ,I have never seen anyone,going into the passport office and demanding a passport on the spot!

I ,that would be ME, would have been to the office on many occasions and I have never seen it happening.

What part of this do you not understand?

No it is not, they are spoiled and dont know what the real world is about, they make me sick they really do and if you choose to be different ie do your work then you stand out and side benched, fact
Pure and utter rubbish

Back