Leaving Ireland to avoid Debt

At the end of the day its 17k, don't make bad decisions based on top of some other poor decisions or bad luck. You will get a job

@Tomo1998

Have you applied to the Gardai? They are recruiting on a national basis, and would later offer potential for all sorts of interesting roles.

Publicjobs.ie is well worth a look :)

€18-€21 per hour labouring on a Dublin building site in Dublin if that’s any use ?
Could start as early as next week if applicable.

So a strong person, with no particular skills or qualifications, can earn 800 gross per week in Dublin, presuming they can make it to the site daily for 8am?

I assume it’s due to the time of year and winding down of HR in December. A lot of them have been roles applicable to my degree, I’ve been told numerous times that I don’t have enough experience but I can’t get experience if no one will give me a job. I’ve also applied for entry level roles to be told that I am overqualified. I assure you that I would not say it if it wasn’t true, regardless of whether you find it hard to believe or not.
That's challenging, I found myself in a similar position around 2000. I just persisted, & eventually got an entry level position that I wanted.

I did manage to screw things up later on with other decisions, but just be honest with your lenders and tell them you are unemployed. They might be able to make some kind of arrangement that's realistic until you are back working. Honestly its not worth screwing up things for years and leaving yourself in a situation where you have a much bigger problem to come back to if you do leave the country.

FE1s require me going to Dublin and spending more money. They are on my agenda in the future. Also I know people who have been taken on by firms before even graduating and I have not which would contradict that point.

In terms of accountancy, I am competent but not great with numbers. Although we did touch on some light accounting modules I just always had the mindset that I would struggle in an accounting or tax environment.

I would agree. I believe them to be correlative. Once a good job with a long term progression plan is sorted for myself the debt will be bearable. I’ve managed this far paying it with minimum wage often times, I’ve always found a way to pay it.

I’ve applied for internships mainly in Dublin as that seems to be where the bulk of legal roles are at the moment. Some of them are for late 2024 and as a result I haven’t heard anything back yet but the ones for the summer which I’ve applied for I have had quite a few no’s.
Check out the careers pages on the banks and big insurers - they are crying out for staff and many will allow you to work remote at least a few days a week.
Alternatively look at jobs with small accounting firms and payroll providers - especially the ones doing company setups etc for contractors. My sister didn't really want to know after dropping out of an unrelated PhD, did that for a couple of years, did a short law diploma and then got a job as a junior company secretary. Then got a better co-sec role, and then another. After about 6-7 years she's now on 80k and she's not even 40.
Also look up public jobs for public admin roles - might be some in your area. Not exciting but its steady money.

It seems a tiny sum to be leaving the country over and its not worth it, really. Trust me on that.

If you default or stop paying you will not get work in field you want to go into. You cannot be bankrupt or have a bank chaising you. Also leaving the country many debt collection companies will chaise you. I know a couple moved to Auz without paying their €10k cu loan. The cu got a private investigator and they are now paying as they can be deported.

If you applied to 250 jobs your cv must be not suitable for the job or your covering letter might be off. I received many cvs over the years with covering letters where silly things like spelling mistakes or letter not relevant to the job was submitted.
There are recruitment agencies that can help you apply to jobs and they will check your cv. They also provide training for interviews.
You are better working than not working. Better for metal health as well.

Did you have a job while studying? I had people working in supermarkets and trying to get a 50k job in finance. I looked at them first than those not working because they were willing to in areas not their field. They developed new skills that helped them in their next role.

Also have you looked at your profile on the likes of Facebook? You would be surprised how many companies look at what you upload. I helped my friends child get a job after he who applied to 100 jobs and got no response. He was 19 at this stage. I looked at his posts and comments on the likes of Facebook he was a ‘hard b…. ‘as his job, pictures showing partying or things that are not acceptable for the job he trying to get into. His cv said he was looking for a job to see what it was like to work! It did not show things like odd jobs, volunteer work etc. His Mum was shocked as what he and his friends were posting. Now I am not saying your profile or cv is like this but just have a re look at all. Either your cv is not full enough or you are not using the right words for the hr to look at it.

You can apply to companies where contracts need to be prepared. You do not necessarily need to work in a law firm or the courts. Use what ever job you can get as a stepping stone. You will get there.

Last edited:
Back