Leaving a Fas course before it has finished

hacker

What are the implecations of leaving a fas course before its completion date as course is badly taught and not learning anything?

Do you not want to be a highly qualified gas installer?

Seriously, I assume you may have a problem/delay getting the dole again.

First step would be to make a formal complaint to FAS about the quality of the training provided.

There would be a delay in reinstating your SW payment while the reasons why you left the course were investigated
You may be disqualifed from receiving JB/JA for up to 9 weeks if they consider that there was not 'just cause' for leaving.
I don't think that leaving because you feel that the course is being badly taught or that you aren't learning anything would be considered just cause, unless there has been previous complaints about tutor or the others on the course also take the same action but that's only my opinion.

I don't think you should have a problem but instead of saying you felt the teaching was not up to scratch, if you want to get out of it quickly, you should just say that you feel the course really wasnt suited to you etc. Be nice about it and when you get yourself sorted and still want to go ahead with a complaint, do it afterwards. Having said that you could go into fas and social welfare and just talk to them, you don't have to give specific details at that point. Good luck

Thanks people for the replies. I think I will stick it out as it is not worth the hassle for me personally. We will be given the oppurtunity I believe to give feedback on the course directly to FAS. Thanks again.

What course are you doing?
Is it a gas installers course?
The problem with these and similiar types of courses is that it is hard for trainees to grasp what can be tricky enough subject matter.Trainees should be working or have a lot of work experience with a qualified gas installer/repair man before doing these courses.People who start these type of courses that involve theory and practical should have the necessary experience and academic ability before they start.
This is no good for handy men or even people working around plumbers. The candidates should be working with gas installers for at least a year or else they won`t get any benefit from the course.
The common mistake the trainees make is that they will get enough practical experience during the course, but this is not possible.

We will be given the oppurtunity I believe to give feedback on the course directly to FAS.
WHy wait? Is your own time not valuable? If it is not up to scratch, stand up and be counted. Give specific, detailed and constructive feedback to FAS. In fairness to your instructor, you should also give it to him/her directly, rather than going behind your back.

The problem is that SW will always side with FAS no matter what complaint is made.
That may or may not be true, but if the course is bad, there should be a complaint to FAS. for the benefit of all the course trainees, regardless of the SW issues.

Sunrock - No it is not a Gas installers course or anything as technical, it is a basic bookkeeping course.
Complainer - I have not "gone behind anyone's back" and I did speak to the tutor, tactfully and privately but their reaction was defensive in my opinion.
As regards "Stand up and be counted" I will provide feedback through the proper channels, but I won't be taking on FÁS or the SW office and risk my SW payments being delayed. Unfortunately these are the times we live in.

What evidence are you basing this statement on? SW are not exactly 'best buddies' with FAS, in my experience.
Oh really? I was led to believe by a SW official that SW and FAS were in bed together with the exchange of information between the two state bodies. The failure to attend FAS leads to loss of benefits etc etc. The 2 agencies do work very closely together.

In general, FAS are reticent to share information with SW; their unions are very tight on this. Believe me, I have years of experience of this but am not going to post examples on a public forum. I would surmise that the 'Sw official' would like you to think it was not so for obvious reasons.

Willingly or unwillingly, they do share information. What they do with the information is another story.

I wouldn't leave the course, go through the channels, I assume you can ask for a transfer to a different course, instructor etc.

Sorry ,I though it was a gas installers course as this was referred to by another poster.
If it is a basic book keeping course then that is different.
I would persevere with the course if I was you,unless you have a job offer.
Maybe the content is is for beginners or too advanced for you. It is unlikely to be the tutors fault...they have to teach at a certain level. What you could do is to buy a bookkeeping book or get one from the library to your own standard and study this in conjunction with your course.And try to enjoy and make the most of the course.
After all it`s not like you are digging ditches and what else are you going to do with your time?

I am in a similar position, really badly organised and taught FAS course. Just wondering if anyone knows who to contact to make an official complaint?

Back