Learning to knit - any recommendations

IWONDER

Hi all,

I would like to take up knitting for the first time since my childhood and was wondering does anyone have any recommendations on books or websites on how to get started? I will need to start from scratch as it has been a long time.

I have googled a few sites but would appreciate any ideas from the folks here.

Thank you :)

Ive been thinking about this recently as well, was wondering if I could re-learn how to crochet.

I was wondering if a dvd would be better than a book or a website as sometimes its easier to 'see' how to do something.

Id also appreciate any books/websites/dvds that people have found useful.

Surely some granny, great aunt or something could show you for starters?

If you don't have one, hire someone else's for a few hours.

Anything unusual or complex (or maybe more modern than they would know) could then be learned from DVDs etc

i would also recommend youtube, if no granny available :) you'd be surprised what you can learn on there!

If you don't have one, hire someone else's for a few hours.

LOL. Have you got one I could hire?

Like the youtube idea - Ive learned other things from youtube, knitting sounds like itd be a good match for a bit of youtube learning.

for what it's worth....."in throught the boogie hole, around the big tree, out throught the boogie hole & off we go!!!!"

Knitting is great for theraputic reasons, but not really worth it to save money as jumpers can be bought so reasonable now. It's also really hard to buy wool now as very few places sell it, so that means it thend to be expensive.

Small tip - if you are doing anything like aran stitching (cabling forward/back etc) use one the little curtain hooks - much easier to work with.

My mother has started to knit again (Im expecting)... she buys her wool here!

[broken link removed]
I note on their website that they do Crochet Classes on a saturday... Nothing about Knitting classes...

good advice on asking someone - one of my mothers neighbours showed her how to crochet, shes just finished the christening robe/blanket!

I did a search on google - dublin knitting classes - no idea about it, if its good, but a lot of results came up... worth doing a search! http://www.thisisknit.ie/classes.php

If you are in the Meath Area, Trim local library have a free knitting night for beginners !

Lots of people like the Stitch n Bitch books and there are a few SnB groups around the place. Join ravelry.com to find groups in your area (and generally find another way to spend far too much time online :) )

I can highly recommend This is Knit in the Powerscourt Townhouse Centre and they do courses and drop-in knitting groups as well. Check out their website for more details and a list of classes etc. (Have no affiliation to TiK other than it being my favourite wool shop when I still lived in Dublin).

There is also another knitting shop called Stitch in Beaumont. They offer classes too and are very helpful. I have no affiliation to them - just a satisfied customer. www.stitch.ie

The weekly publication The Art of Crochet is good as it comes with wool, needles etc as well as detailed instructions. It can be posted to you in batches of 4. I did the Art of Knitting One, which was 124 'episodes' of how to knit a quilt (over 2 years!)....didn't last that long but I have a cushion cover!

Also Hickeys in Henry St Dublin do little kits with all you need inside them - I made myh mum a scarf...all in all, the kit (which included needles, instructions, wool) was about 12 euro. She loved it!

Lots of people like the Stitch n Bitch books and there are a few SnB groups around the place. Join ravelry.com to find groups in your area (and generally find another way to spend far too much time online :) )

I can highly recommend This is Knit in the Powerscourt Townhouse Centre and they do courses and drop-in knitting groups as well. Check out their website for more details and a list of classes etc. (Have no affiliation to TiK other than it being my favourite wool shop when I still lived in Dublin).

I would second "This is Knit". Very friendly ladies in there and allways there to give advise and any help you might need. I have no affilation to TiK.

Also www.ravelry.com - it's kind of like Facebook for knitting. People post up their projects, there are patterns, wool advice, forums for help and discussion and links on where to buy items.

Hi and thanks for the responses folks.

I am going to give a few of your suggestions a try. I checked out a coupld of clips on YouTube and they were actually pretty good - I wouldn't have thought to check there at all.

I'm going to get myself some needles and wool to get myself started. I might pop into that This is Knit shop at some stage - just to check it out and get some ideas if nothing else.
The knitting for me would be a kind of theraputic thing and something to do to while away the cold evenings. I may one day have to resort to some serious knitting for Christmas presents, but hopefully that is a long way off :D

I really love the idea of the 'stitch and bitch' - any excuse to get together with people and have a laugh.

Thanks again.

Back