Learning IT Courses Online

3rdLevel

Hi all first post here

well im interested in learning IT online , is there any online colleges or courses that are acknowledged

im fairly decent on a pc at the moment , a problem solver who'd sit and solve a pc problem

but id like to study it further and maybe do some nixers on my own and progress who knows

any good advice much appreciated

yeah but i was looking for a more professional institute

nothing against fas its just i associate it with ex druggies looking for work etc

maybe a harse way of looking at it

or the wrong way , i just want something i can learn part time from hom online

Some of the best software engineers that I have worked with did FÁS courses. You might want to sanity check your views (prejudices?) against reality. :rolleyes:

I was recommended this place by a friend. Have to do a course for work but still waiting on them to pay for it so dont personally know if its any use! Worth a look though!
http://www.cmit.ie/

but im in full employment for 8 years , they'd pay partial for my e-learing ??? hows that

Have a look at their webiste. They do partially fund certain programs for those in full time employment. Sometimes the courses are run by other third parties. I did a short program at NUI Maynooth last year that had a very welcome (and generous) FAS contribution!

Interesting and surprising negative beliefs about FAS there OP. Agree with Clubman in that an upgrade might be required!

Open University offer some great courses. I used to think these were not well recognised but from what i've been hearing recently from others, this is not the case. Check it out online - and have them send you their ICT brochure if its got your interest.

A friend was on an IT course recently with Fas which he found very beneficial. Of the eighteen in the class many were very highly qualified and were upskilling. 6 were graduates. Perhaps the OP should re-consider his views.

yeah but i was looking for a more professional institute

nothing against fas its just i associate it with ex druggies looking for work etc

maybe a harse way of looking at it

or the wrong way , i just want something i can learn part time from hom online

I'm not a fan of web courses myself. Most of them are very dull to wade through. Maybe you'd like them. I'd prefer a book, and work towards a qualification like the A+ or a Microsoft certification. FAS don't make their own web courses, at least not the IT ones I've seen.

Some general advice: You may want to think about your learning style and try to find online courses that match it. We've found that Boomers, Gen X'ers, and Gen Y'ers all learn differently, and what works for one group will probably not work for the others. If you are a Gen Y'er, see if you can find a course with many hands-on exercises or group problem-solving sessions.

Also consider that 'eLearning' is really a different animal that 'Online Training'. eLearning is a solo activity. Good 'Online Training' uses the internet to extend the classroom to your computer, live instructor and all. 'Online Training' gives you the chance to ask questions and get answers in real-time. The costs are a lot higher but if you are trying to get your arms around a complex subject in a short amount of time then it can be worth it.

-------
Dave Barnhart
Chief Blogging Officer, Dashcourses International
http://Dashcourses.Typepad.com

Last edited by a moderator:
What are Boomers, Gen X'ers, and Gen Y'ers?

Who defines what is, eLearning vs 'Online Training'

Back