Learner Driving in Housing Estate

The children in the area which did this knew the purpose of the exercise, had no interest in retrieving ancient toys that up to this were languishing in sheds and furthermore children of an age that would dash out into traffic were never allowed out anyway without their parents. The end result was a much safer estate.

Well I'm comforted to hear that every child who lives in and visits that estate is old and wise enough to know that toys placed on a road were not for playing with. Children, no matter what age they are, naturally want to play with toys.

Just following this thread but slightly to one side of it. Can anyone tell me where HAVE all the "L" plates gone? Is it me or is there a marked reduction in "L" plate carrying cars on the roads. Are all the learner drivers previously out there on 1st/2nd provisionals being passed with flying colours before the June deadline? Or is there a deeper reason. ( Not that anyone would ever drive on a provisional without displaying "L" plates ) A few months ago practically every 4th/5th car seemed to have "L" plates. In a 30 mile drive yesterday I spotted 2. Roughly the same as the sunny days in summer. Have they joined the spoons in LOS ?

Joe1234, I am so pleased that you are comforted!!!!

And I'm pleased that you are condoning the practice of putting childrens lives at risk. As a parent of 2 children under 4, I find the idea of putting toys in the middle of the road to be totally inconsiderate. Even if the children that live in the area are old enough to know what was going on, what would happen if one family had younger children visiting, and they obviously didn't know what was happening?

Joe 1234, so now I am happy to put children's lives at risk!!!

This comment is based on an observation I made on what I saw done in a local estate. An old plastic car with no wheels and in very bad condition was left strategically in a place where traffic was forced to slow down , result was very satisfactory and no children were hurt or died but went back to playing and continue to play in safer conditions.

I would think that anyone who owns children under two would be delighted with any legal effort to reduce the hazard of traffic in an area where children live and I feel insulted by your comment.

I would think that anyone who owns children under two would be delighted with any legal effort to reduce the hazard of traffic in an area where children live and I feel insulted by your comment.

Littering is illegal!

The alternative viewpoint would be that Kids that can't cross a road safely or are not aware enough to stay clear of learner drivers or cars in general, shouldn't really be out on a road, public green unsupervised in the first place.

Just following this thread but slightly to one side of it. Can anyone tell me where HAVE all the "L" plates gone? Is it me or is there a marked reduction in "L" plate carrying cars on the roads. Are all the learner drivers previously out there on 1st/2nd provisionals being passed with flying colours before the June deadline? Or is there a deeper reason. ( Not that anyone would ever drive on a provisional without displaying "L" plates ) A few months ago practically every 4th/5th car seemed to have "L" plates. In a 30 mile drive yesterday I spotted 2. Roughly the same as the sunny days in summer. Have they joined the spoons in LOS ?

It would be nice to think that they are all getting lessons and passing their tests, but the cynic in me thinks that since it will be illegal to drive unaccompanied with L plates on July 1st, many are just removing them in an effort to disguise the fact that they are on provisional licenses.

Park in such a way that reversing around corners is difficult, and place kids bicycles and plastic toys etc as obstacles in the middle of the road.

What happens if someone unfamiliar drives into the estate, i.e. drives IN, and not reversing around the corner and has cars on the road parked on corners obstructing views of children sitting on ground at the bumber of cars, toys on road that have to be driven around like and obstacle course and children darting out. Even at 10 mph a child could be seriously injured. And given a situation like that and a split second to respond, something is going to give and obviously a driver would go for hitting a toy or a stationary vehicle before a child. I don't know, but I can see huge allegations from this and think it would make it way more dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would assume this would only be for a couple more month's to clear the back log of people that need their cars for work etc., before the new law on provisional licence drivers not being allowed to drive on their own, my sister and my in-laws were very shocked when it first came in, then they gave a few month's for people to apply and pass tests.

A neighbouring estate is plagued with these learner drivers queuing up to practice reversing around a corner. In addition to the safety concerns they have blocked driveways on occasion.

The estate has not yet been taken in hand by the council and the residents have now erected signs at the entrance and at the bends. One sign consist of a large red "L" with a red line across it. Another simply states "Learner Drivers not welcome on this private estate.

It was in last Sundays' papers that we are going to have Sunday test to clear the back log. That means you will have these L drivers in your estates 7 days a week.

I had this problem with people parking on the street outside my house and walking or driving slowly past my gateway. Now, I just leave my scent at prominent locations around my patch. Also I bark at passing traffic.

When I need to drive past somebody else's house that's a different story because I expect people to treat me better than I treat them.

Woof woof.

People have spent the last 20 years say that people need to start taking learning to drive seriously , and not that they do this is the response...

A neighbouring estate is plagued with these learner drivers queuing up to practice reversing around a corner. In addition to the safety concerns they have blocked driveways on occasion.

The estate has not yet been taken in hand by the council and the residents have now erected signs at the entrance and at the bends. One sign consist of a large red "L" with a red line across it. Another simply states "Learner Drivers not welcome on this private estate.

Our estate has not yet been taken in charge by the local Council it (is due to be taken in charge in the next few months though) and is stil in charge of the developer at this stage. Do that give us any stronger a case in the position?

[Originally Posted by Happy Girl] Our estate is being innundated with learner drivers, driving schools and testers (between 40-50 cars per day) doing their three point turns and reverse manoeuvres from 8.00 in the morning until after 10 at night.

14+ hour lessons? Pretty intensive.

I think it is quite clear that "their" denotes more than one person!

Our estate has not yet been taken in charge by the local Council it (is due to be taken in charge in the next few months though) and is stil in charge of the developer at this stage. Do that give us any stronger a case in the position?

It's a public road so the public have every right to drive there unless they're doing something illegal.

We all pay lots of tax so the council will maintain 'your' road and provide lighting and maintenance so I don't think you have any case to prohibit anyone from using it.

If you and the rest of the residents feel so strongly, why not take charge of the estate yourselves and put gates on it.
Would you each be willing to pay a few €000 every year for this?

14+ hour lessons? Pretty intensive.

It's a public road so the public have every right to drive there unless they're doing something illegal.

We all pay lots of tax so the council will maintain 'your' road and provide lighting and maintenance so I don't think you have any case to prohibit anyone from using it.

If you and the rest of the residents feel so strongly, why not take charge of the estate yourselves and put gates on it.
Would you each be willing to pay a few €000 every year for this?

I think u misread my post. Our estate has not been taken in charge therefore no taxes paid by anyone goes towards the lighting and maintenance of it.

Back