Leaky balcony - Management Co. obligations

happygoose

Hi,

Over the weekend the balcony leaked in my house causing a good bit of damage to walls, wooden floors etc.

Should the management company over my estate send a surveyor out...?

I'm not pushed about going straight to the builder, he's tried to fob off a couple of my neighbours by just patching up leaks, I'm rather get the damage independently assessed, is the management company obliged to send out someone to survey the damage or is it up to myself?

Thanks.

Your balcony falls into a bit of a grey area. In most cases you don't buy it, just the right to use it. The Management Company would therefor be responsible for it's maintenance and upkeep. Your first action would be to check the agreement when you bought (leased) your apartment, second action is to contact the Management Company or their agent and arrange for an insurance assessement.

Bubbly its actually on the front of my house...mid terrace, that'd change things wouldn't it.

I'm prepared to go the insurance route if my premium didn't go up, the reason I'd be a bit reluctant to go that route is because I think the balcony shouldn't have leaked water down into the house it the first place.

I'm sorry, my mistake. Because of the forum this is in I assumed (wrongly, because you said "house") that this was an apartment. In which case disregard my post above.

It sounds like (and I could be assuming again) it's a relatively new house in which case your best bet would be to contact www.homebond.ie and claim through that.

Your complex should have insurance but that would just cover communal areas. My apologies...I should learn to read what's written, not what I THINK has been written.

Word of warning - Homebond covers structural defects and it's rare that a balcony would fall under this. If the house is under 18 months old, it should be covered by the Major Defects Warranty supplied as part of the Building Agreement.

Thanks babaduck, I'm only in the house 6 months, where would I get a copy of this, my solicitor?

Back