leaking Velux window

PGD1

I have 2 Velux windows that are showing signs of water ingress at the bottom left hand corner of the frame. On both the varnish/coating is splitting/cracking and the wood is black. The windows are 10 years old.

Has anybody else suffered from this?
What was the cause and the remedy?

I usually like to have a go at things myself so if the remedy is easy enough that would be great.

If not can anybody recommend somebody to fix? I assume regular Velux window installers could do it. I'm in North Co. Dublin.

Thanks.

Might be an idea to check if it's a case of simple condensation/lack of ventilation at this time of year if it's happening to both windows on the bottom corners?

both windows are in different rooms. I have plenty of other windows, multiple in each room and they are no affected.

I rang Velux and they will only send people out for warranty work so I guess I will have to find normal window installer.

It could just be condensation but I just want a professional to check in case it's something more serious. Both the window glass frame and the overall frame itself are black.

I had a leaking velux once - I looked on the roof and found a pile of moss around the exterior of the frame. Once I cleared that away the leak stopped and is fine 12 months later.

Tell velux that it is still under warranty. I'm almost sure they guarantee their windows for ten years.

Did you ever get the leaking velux windows sorted. I have the exact same problem also.

I have the same problem too, water obviously getting in somewhere, corners of frame wet on inside and part of glass surround wet too. Is there any DIY solutions here, mine are definitely out of warranty.

Back