Leadership course -Chevron College

As a springboard programme, is it heavily subsidised?

If it is, it could be worth a shot.

It looks like a post-grad certificate rather than a Masters. A lot of training providers offer this type of course and it can be difficult to distinguish between them.

Depends on your motivation for doing the programme. It looks like the sort of programme that might add something to your knowledge but I don’t think it’s of the type that would suddenly make you more employable or ready for promotion. Your experience would be much more relevant in this regard.

Many thanks for good feedback.

Yes - have significant work experience - but need a course to help me better with decision making / judgement.

Happy that it's a Cert - a masters can often be 2 or 3 of these related certs combined. iMI do this option.

Sorry I'm unsure about which course you are referring to as you also have a query posted today about data analytics.
I've done a MBA and a Post Grad. I'm going to be brutally honest but it might help.
Unless you are building on a pretty good leadership base you might find you dont get much bang for your buck if you are going to do a Masters.
Age is going to come into it and there will be a question as to why you are only doing a Masters in your 50's. I did my masters (Trinity College) in my 30's and nearly everyone in my class of 32 people was around the same age, a few were older but they were undertaking because they were en route to a significant gloabal/ leadership or CEO position.
It sounds like you are looking at career questions rather than MBA/ Data Analytics Questions.
Remember, a Masters is a massive amount of work with a significant personal cost both financial and time lost for leisure.
Many people have Masters now so in some roles its seen as a commodity.
Age is undoubtably going to come into it - I have done some recruitment interviewing and if I saw a candidate with little Management experience coming in with a Masters I would be curious as to why they did it.
A Masters is not a magic pill to get you a better salary or position, so much else counts.
I had a look at that Chevron one and I would not really rate it.
Would you consider building up via a Diploma in Leadsership etc - IMI or similar.
You also may have to do a GMAT - are you confident about that its also a lot of prep?
Hope this helps.

I think the college credentials are important tbh - I would like at the IMI, TCD, UCD - even the IPA. Wouldn't consider chevron at all. Who knows if they will even be around in 5 / 10 years?

Good comments and advice. Very much appreciated.

Where should I go for general career advise - I've around 13 years to work retirement - but would like some option for longer work career outside public sector .. that's why the Spring Board courses are interesting

College has changed a lot from my days in the 90s - even the subjects taught are now non existent.

I think the college credentials are important tbh - I would like at the IMI, TCD, UCD - even the IPA. Wouldn't consider chevron at all. Who knows if they will even be around in 5 / 10 years?
University of Sunderland accreditation. If that's any good

Where should I go for general career advise - I've around 13 years to work retirement - but would like some option for longer work career outside public sector .. that's why the Spring Board courses are interesting
A lot of public servants of a similar vintage have faced the same issue. Back in the 80s, people felt lucky to get a job in the public sector. There weren’t many options at the time and the thought of having a career in an area you might actually like was a pipe dream.

I know a few civil servants who have retired in recent years. They have varying levels of interest in continuing to work. Of those who have, the most contented ones seem to be those who have drawn on their experience rather than trying to forge a career in a completely new pursuit.

I think there are various reasons for that. Regardless of how you like or value your job, those nearing retirement have generally become experts in their field and are comfortable with the work. It can be daunting to take on a brand new career where you might have zero experience and need to start at the bottom. No one wants to be a 60 year old junior!

I know of one guy in particular who’s drawn from his work in which he had a genuine interest. His pursuit of that interest has opened up opportunities for self employment. He really enjoys this because he can concentrate on the bits of his old job that he liked without the hassle and discontent of the elements that irked him.

On the specifics of the course you mentioned, it doesn’t seem like the sort of subject matter that will, by itself, open up post-retirement possibilities but it might, as you’ve suggested, enhance your decision making capability to help you achieve better outcomes.

Best of luck.

Good comments and advice. Very much appreciated.

College has changed a lot from my days in the 90s - even the subjects taught are now non existent.
If it were me I'd do a few sessions with a career coach NOT a lifecoach. A Masters is not going to give you a radically different career fast.
However you will have skills from other areas of your life to build on. Its also one of lifes big questions after 50 - 'whats next? Is this it?- lots of people have to make sense of it. I dont think Chevron is that great tbh.
If I asked you what would you love to do, career wise, tomorrow, if you could, money not being a consideration? What would you say?

If it were me I'd do a few sessions with a career coach NOT a lifecoach. A Masters is not going to give you a radically different career fast.
However you will have skills from other areas of your life to build on. Its also one of lifes big questions after 50 - 'whats next? Is this it?- lots of people have to make sense of it. I dont think Chevron is that great tbh.
If I asked you what would you love to do, career wise, tomorrow, if you could, money not being a consideration? What would you say?

Think that's a fair point - worth investing a few hours in this imo before invetsing a whole lot of time in something that may not bring you closer to your career goals.

UCD and IOB both have springboard backed leadership courses, one in innovation and creativity and the other IOB heavily finance dominated.
I'd go for those over chevron.

Such great advice all. Much appreciated for your wisdom.

I now have varied offers on Spring Board
- data analytics - NCI Dublin - 2 years
- leadership - Chevron - 1 year
- applied digital marketing - TU Dublin -1 year
- Fundamentals of data science - TU Dublin - 1 year
- Accounting Technician - Dublin

Hard to decide - but good good to have a few varied options !

As a springboard programme, is it heavily subsidised?

If it is, it could be worth a shot.

It looks like a post-grad certificate rather than a Masters. A lot of training providers offer this type of course and it can be difficult to distinguish between them.

Depends on your motivation for doing the programme. It looks like the sort of programme that might add something to your knowledge but I don’t think it’s of the type that would suddenly make you more employable or ready for promotion. Your experience would be much more relevant in this regard.
Your right on that one , experience will show leadership qualities , you cannot learn them from a book .

Such great advice all. Much appreciated for your wisdom.

I now have varied offers on Spring Board
- data analytics - NCI Dublin - 2 years
- leadership - Chevron - 1 year
- applied digital marketing - TU Dublin -1 year
- Fundamentals of data science - TU Dublin - 1 year
- Accounting Technician - Dublin

Hard to decide - but good good to have a few varied options !

A very varied choice and lots of different directions there - I would definitely invest in some career planning advice to help you make the right choice

Back