Laying ordinary deal floorboards instead of laminate

theod

Can one lay ordinary deal floorboards (like they used to have in old houses) on a concrete floor and how do they compare with engineered flooring price wise and wear wise? Assuming they are varnished etc. I also believe they can be painted.

Last edited:
Please edit the title of your thread to make it more meaningful. You will get a much better response with a more suitable title.
Leo

Can one lay ordinary deal floorboards (like they used to have in old houses) on a concrete floor and how do they compare with engineered flooring price wise and wear wise? Assuming they are varnished etc. I also believe they can be painted.

Open to correction, but I think...

Deal is soft even when varnished. It wouldn't be a patch on a hardwood floor if thats what you mean by engineered. Thats why its vastly cheaper though. Laminates are probably a happy medium. Deal better upstairs where it gets less abuse. Even there I think I'd go for laminates, over deal. Wears better. Much easier and less messy to install.

Dont know if you would lay them same as laminates, normal to nail deal floor which would mean battens on your concrete, I have approx 1000sq ft of red deal upstairs, fitted 10 years ago, wear wise and varnish still perfect Saddles need a coat this year, only fault I have there is a few creaky ones (not many), Also have a maple solid downstairs and it has been sanded and coated twice in 10 years and there are patches around table that needs to be done this year again, Would love to know of a really good hard coating for them if anyone knows. Only thing these floors should last forever but you have to sand and coat them the odd time, Hope this helps make up your mind

We have beech and oak parquet floors downstairs and all we do with them is a coat of Danish Oil every couple of years. House was built in the early '50's and the floors will certainly see me out.

Back