Laya Laya Health Insurance up to €4000 for family of 5

finDale

Hi All

Just received my renewal for health insurance through Laya and its over €4000.

Myself and my husband are on Total Health Complete. Both in early 50s, good overall health, occasional visits to GP, Physio, dentist, optician etc. Net Subscription this year €1231.07 each.

My 3 children are on Flex 125 Choice, the oldest of whom has just turned 18 - her net subscription is double that of the other 2 children €823.17 and €410.83 each for the younger two children.

Are there better value plans out there this year or should I stick with these (only changed to them last year).

Any thoughts or advice appreciated

finDale,

There are plenty of alternative cheaper plans to consider for everyone in the family with similar cover.

Adult Options;
1. Laya Simply Connect; price 1063pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, excess 150 x 2 max pa, good day to day cover - max refund per
year 300.
2. Laya Simplicity; price 1087pa; public, private + hi-tech hospital cover, excess 100 x2 max per year, good day to day cover - first 100 not allowed.
3. Laya Simply Connect Plus; price 1169pa; public, private + hi-tech hospital cover, excess 150 x1 max per year, good day to day cover - max
refund per year 500.
4. Laya Total Health Complete 175 plan; price 1143pa; public, private + hi-tech hospital cover, excess 175, good day to day cover.
5. VHI Company Plan Plus Level 1.3; price 1158pa; public, private + hi-tech hospital cover, excess 150, good day to day cover.

[broken link removed]

Children's Options;
1. VHI PMI 12 11; price 208pa; public, private + hi-tech hospital cover, private excess 125, hi-tech excess 250, no day to day cover.
2. VHI PMI 11 11; price 225pa; public, private + hi-tech hospital cover, private excess 125, hi-tech excess 250, day to day cover - first 50 not allowed.
3. Simply Connect; price 252pa; public, private + hi-tech hospital cover, private/hi-tech excess 150 x 2 max per year, good day to day cover - max refund 300 per year.
4. Simply Connect Plus; price 269pa; public, private + hi-tech hospital cover, private/hi-tech excess 150 x 1, good day to day cover - max refund
500 per year.

[broken link removed]

Young Adult Options;
1. VHI PMI 10 11; price 384pa; public, private + hi-tech hospital cover, excess 125, good day to day cover - first 30 not allowed.
2. VHI PMI 35 13; price 429pa; public, private + hi-tech hospital cover, excess 100, good day to day cover.

[broken link removed]

NOTE; Children or young adults can be with VHI without adults if it suits. An adult is just named on the policy but only the children or young
adults are insured. VHI are most competitive on price for young adults. Each person can be on a different plan if required to suit their individual needs.
Plenty of savings to be made, without compromising on cover.

Regards, Snowyb

Hi Snowyb
Thanks for your detailed input. I like the look of the Simply Connect Plus for both adults and both children. In another thread you also mentioned Laya's Control 300 Create €1039 & €249. This works out cheaper and to my untrained eye has slightly better cover but with an inpatient €300 excess? Would you consider this a better deal than Simply Connect Plus for ourselves and the kids?

Kind Regards
FinDale

finDale,

There are pros and cons to both plans, the con with Control 300 Create being the 300 inpatient excess per admission to a private/hi-tech hospital.
The extra hospital cover of full cover for a private room in a private hospital is worth a lot, if that kind of cover matters to you.
The savings compared to your current plan is 400approx plus the additional savings from the childrens plans, so you're in a win win position already.

The con with Simply Connect Plus being the more expensive price.
The lower inpatient excess (150 max) and day case excess (50 per visit) is the advantage of this plan.
The pros with each plan far outweigh the cons overall.

For the 2 children, I would be inclined to go for Simply Connect, price 252pa, this eliminates the 300 inpatient excess at a similar price.
For yourselves, one option would be to choose a different plan for each adult.
Whatever excess amount you're happy to settle for, will be the deciding factor.

Also, Laya allow you to change plans during the year, so if a better offer for the children or adults comes out at any stage, you can avail of it.

Regards, Snowyb

finDale,

Thanks Snowyb
A quick question - the likelihood of a child ever staying in a private hospital is slim? Are there any private childrens hospitals in Ireland or would the 16 year old be able to be treated in one of the Dublin private hospitals?

Also Control 300 Create states 'up to €30 X 25 visits' for physio and 'up to €150' for non emergency dental - does this mean if your physio costs €50 a session you can claim €30 back for each session? And if routine dental treatment for the year comes to €150 you can claim the full amount back?

Kind Regards
FinDale

The childrens hospitals deal with children upto the eve of their 16th birthday, unless they have been attending for years with a particular long term condition or illness, special exemptions apply in those cases until 18 years. From age 16 onwards they would attend the adult hospitals, either public, private or hi-tech, according to the hospital cover on their plan.

The 3 hi-tech hospitals, Beacon, Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private, have childrens wards which offer a list of childrens surgery for kids over 3yrs.

You're correct about the physio refund 30 per session x 25 visits and routine dental refund total 150 per year, per person.

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks for the answers Snowyb - I didn't realise the 16 year old would be too old for the childrens hospitals.
Another question about the young adult. I'm looking at the PMI 35 13 for her as you advised. Is there a similar plan with emergency dental cover included - she plays hockey and cricket!!
Kind Regards
FinDale

Young adult alternative option including emergency dental cover - 50% up to 510.

Laya Connectcare 100; price for 18 yr old 484pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, 100 private/hi-tech excess, good day to day cover.
[broken link removed]

Snowyb

Perfect. Also means I don't have the hassle of switching health insurers for her.
Thanks a million for all your help

finDale,

A last option, I stumbled upon, for a young adult with VHI as follows; Plan PMI 42 15; Price 18 yr old; 549pa.
Emergency dental cover upto 750pa. Extra day to day cover included on this plan,
gp refund, routine dental, physio are all 40 per visit x 12, consultant 100 per visit x 12.
Also, for someone involved in sports, vhi swiftcare clinic cover 125 per visit x 4 per year, a + e 75 x 2 visits.
Extra radiology cover, 100 per radiologist consultant visit, total claim upto 1000 per annum.

Hospital cover wise, there is no excess on this plan for admission or day case in private or hi-tech hospitals.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Back