Health Insurance Laya free online doctor appointments under policy - prescriptions

happypat

Hi, with Laya (and VHI etc. presumably) there are a number of free online doctor appointments under many policies - anyone know if you can use these apointments simply to get an on-going prescription e.g. for blood pressure meds or things like that, instead of paying your own GP €30-€40 for simply sending out a renewal of the prescription? Or will they say it needs your own GP to assess an on-going condition?

Couldn't answer your question as I've never availed of the "Free" doctor on my Laya policy
But been asked for €30/40 for a renewal prescription without a visit is daylight robbery in my opinion
My doctor charges €10 for a renewal and others that I've seen locally seem to be in and around the same

I've only used it for acute \ once off illness.
It's not mentioned definitively but it seems to relate only to acute not recurring conditions.

There is a different Prescription Service for specific conditions such as asthma, cholesterol, migraine, hair loss, acne, eczema.
Blood pressure is not mentioned as an option.
Unclear if this is for a once off presceription for a medicine you've been prescribed before, or if you could get 6 months repeat for an inhaler, say.

I have used them and got once-off prescription off them after a diagnosing consultation. I suspect they would give you an emergency prescription for one month but not any more but cannot clarify. Does your GP have a website ? It may be cheaper to just apply online as I got mine online at no cost so far but they may have a bill waiting for me when next I make an appointment.

thanks all, just checked, my last remote request prescription was charged at €35 - and all I did was send an email and ring reception to pay the bill. So probably getting ripped off!

Back