Late Late Show 21.11.08 Prizewinner did not want Toy Show part of prize.

Re: Tonight's late late show

Anyone remember the show years ago when Gay Byrne slagged a woman for not being more excited. Turned out poor woman's daughter had been killed since the daughter has sent in the postal entry. Gaybo was understandably lost for words. Brendan Kennelly cut in and sympathized with a poem.

Another example of why the host should remain pleasant. Difficult I know, Pat's only human, or is he!?

it was on the local 96fm this morning. I was amazed by peoples reactions.

Look, no-one & i mean NO ONE knows exactly what goes on behind close doors. That lady could have been in the middle of hearing some terrible news. She may well have a sick relative. You just dont know. People react differently to certain things, but my god, what a judgemental bunch of whiners

.......obviously not bad enough news to avoid entering the competition though!

.......obviously not bad enough news to avoid entering the competition though!

I disagree, lots of bad news has financial implications. Could be the very reason a person enters a competition to win 10k.

Oh for gods sake, she was probably just a bitter woman with no tact. All this bad news rubbish...she was rude, not Pat Kenny.

...she was rude, not Pat Kenny.

She wasn't rude. She just didn't want to go to the toy show. Big deal. Give the woman a break, she was leaving the tickets for someone else.

it was on the local 96fm this morning. I was amazed by peoples reactions.

Look, no-one & i mean NO ONE knows exactly what goes on behind close doors. That lady could have been in the middle of hearing some terrible news. She may well have a sick relative. You just dont know. People react differently to certain things, but my god, what a judgemental bunch of whiners

If you get terrible news to you have the late late on tv ??? Pat said he could hear himself in the back ground. If you have a sick relative why enter the competiton in which you know a phone call after 11 at night is involved.

If you get terrible news to you have the late late on tv ??? Pat said he could hear himself in the back ground. If you have a sick relative why enter the competiton in which you know a phone call after 11 at night is involved.

That doesn't make sense, people who are bereaved, sick, in financial distress wouldn't be watching telly? It might be all they're doing.

If you have a sick relative you might be sitting up with them, why not take a call?

This is all speculation and most likely totally off the mark.

Point is you should expect not to be slagged off on national television by a show's host. She was only entering a competition and now she's sitting probably very upset about all the giving out about her. Give her a break!

She was 'well spoken', from which people derive that she doesn't need the money. With a different accent she would not have got half the abuse.

Her tone may have given the impression that she was ungrateful but the facts are that she offered the tickets for raffle or auction. Pat should have asked her if he could keep the trip to Dublin to give to charity and just send her the money. I think she would have agreed to that.

did anyone think the 2 kids that were on from that new movie kisses were a bit mad!!

I don't think it's the fact that she was 'well spoken' that annoyed people...it was the absolutely rude and dismissive way that she said 'oh i'm not particularly interested' when asked who she was bringing to the toy show. At the very least, she could have said a pleasant thank you (not too difficult to muster up I think?) and then behind the scenes arrange to raffle the tickets. To me, it was the height of rudeness...She got something she didn't want but....she entered for the prize. And all this speculation that something bad may have happened to her is just ridiculous. She was rude, rude, rude...that's it.

Yep, certainly sounded rude to me.

I don't think it's the fact that she was 'well spoken' that annoyed people...it was the absolutely rude and dismissive way that she said 'oh i'm not particularly interested' when asked who she was bringing to the toy show. At the very least, she could have said a pleasant thank you (not too difficult to muster up I think?) and then behind the scenes arrange to raffle the tickets. To me, it was the height of rudeness...She got something she didn't want but....she entered for the prize. And all this speculation that something bad may have happened to her is just ridiculous. She was rude, rude, rude...that's it.

Lots of things sound rude when not heard in their entirety.

And lost of things are rude when they are rude.

I watched the clip on youtube and think there was a pair of them in it. Her tone was very dismissive - although I appreciate she may have been nervous and she is probably kicking herself now that she didn't grandly announce they could be given to charity. Pat was far too quick to tear up the tickets - there was no need for that.

Here's the clip on You Tube...and here's what might have been going on.

Brilliant!

Apparently there were a lot of complaints about the Satanic Sluts.

Now that has to be the biggest load of rubbish ever put on a tv. Four eejits with no sense of timing in cheap and nasty Ann Summers outfits dancing around someone wrapped up in a roll of gold foil. It was cringeworthy. Does anyone know what it was actually supposed to be.

Personally, I would also have no interest in going to the toy show. I was at it once and it didn't do anything for me. I certainly never watch it now (nor the Late Late Show either). It was okay when "there's one for everyone in the audience" but that is no longer the case.

Imagine the shock the poor woman must have got, at home, relaxing and the next thing to hear Pat Kenny on the other end of the line, and she realising that she was talking in front of 1/2 a million people. She probably said the first thing that came into her head. Had she time to think she would no doubt have thought of some one or some cause to give them to.

I think Kennys behavious was despicable and very unprofessional and sends him further down in my opinion (if that is possible).

Maybe the woman, with some justification, thought the high and mighty Kenny was going to try and claim squatters right on her back garden or something while she was up in Dublin.

Murt

Back