Late form 11 return

ninak

Just realised today I had forgotten to make my online form 11 return. I think the date was the 12th of Nov for online returns. I am a proprietary Director, but pay my tax monthly as per any employee. There was no outstanding balance from 2014. But they are fining me for a late return a few hundred euro. Is this right?

No way of knowing for certain if it's calculated correctly etc on the basis of limited information provided, but it sounds that it is correct. Unfortunately proprietary directors are charged the late filing surcharge on their tax liability before PAYE deductions so it's a lot more harsh on them than it is on other self-assessed taxpayers whose surcharges are applied on the tax liability after PAYE deductions.

Yes, spent some time on the phone and that is the answer I am being given. I had actually overpaid tax in 2014, after medical expenses taken into account,but am being fined for a late return purely because I am a director. I intend to appeal this as it is absolutely unfair. All tax, usc and prsi up to date and paid through out the year. Only reason I am being fined is Director status. A surcharge is a fine on tax owing. I did not owe any tax. The system is at fault here as it applies the surcharge before it takes off the amount of tax you paid during that year!!!

I sympathise fully. Your grievance is 100% justified. That particular law has been in place since Bertie Ahern introduced in the 1992 Finance Act.

Sometimes the Revenue will agree to waive it. I wouldn't be too hopeful but you may be lucky if you ask nicely. :)

Back