Laptop -Notebook - Netbook - Tablet

allthedoyles

Could someone please tell me the difference in the above .
I am looking to buy a laptop ?

Spending not more than 600 euro .

Which is best ?

Laptop - Portable pc , comparable in specs to a desktop
Notebook - As above but smaller
Netbook - Mini laptop (screen 8"/10") , won't have dvd drive , may not run windows
Tablet - laptop/notebook/netbook without a keyboard

Tablet - laptop/notebook/netbook without a keyboard
Not true, at least for the Toshiba Tablet PCs, which look like a normal laptop with keyboard, but can also be used in tablet mode, i.e. with a pen to write on the screen, either in portrait or landscape mode.

Which is best ?
Depends on what you want it for & how you plan to use it. For example:
- portability. Will you be bringing it in & out to college every day or will it sit on the couch at home? (Noteboo & Netbooks are usually lighter). Is durability & weight important? What about battery life?
- budget. Notebooks & tablets are dearer, laptops then netbooks cheapest.
- what applications will you use? Web surfing, then a netbook will do. Will you be running windows applications? (e.g. office or will open office do?).
- multimedia. Will you be watching films (DVD or bluray player needed). Will you be playing games? (need a higher end graphics card). A HDMI out might be useful if you want to use it as a bluray player for your TV. Will you be 'skyping' (web cam, mic & speakers).
- External devices. Do you have a USB hard drive, digital camers etc.? (things like no. of usb ports might matter, a card reader might be useful.

Not true, at least for the Toshiba Tablet PCs, which look like a normal laptop with keyboard, but can also be used in tablet mode, i.e. with a pen to write on the screen, either in portrait or landscape mode.

I'd say most of them do that.

Back