Laptop not booting

kobam

I bought used laptop, using it for a week successfully but now am not able to reboot.
The laptop telling me "primary hard disk drive 0 not found"
No bootable devices, strike F1 to retry boot F2 for setup utility

I did all possible but no good result. I cannt open any file or system not booting to start up.

Help needed.

Will it start in Safe Mode?

It can't find the hard drive , so that won't be possible..

Either the hard disk is dead or disconnected... can you head the hard disk spinning when you turn it on ?

also do you hear any type of clicking noise (either now or before the problem) ?

It can't find the hard drive , so that won't be possible

You'd think that but I have seen on one or two rare occasions where was was possible to boot in safe mode with a similar message when the fault was not actually with the HDD itself but with the HD controller on the motherboard.
Admittedly it does look like a HD failure or disconnection. You don't say what make or model it is, is it possible to easily remove the HD and try it in another machine or conversely try another HD in the problem machine?
Have you tried removing and reseating the HD?
What about the BIOS, when you switch on the laptop hold F2 and check the BIOS to see what it says about the drive and whether or not its enabled?
As jhegarty asks, was there any funny clicking or heavy whirring noises in the last few days?
Also how did you transport the laptop? Did you always shut it down properly or just ask it to hibernate before you threw it in the back of the car? A former colleague of mine used to just close the lid on his, throw it into his rucsack which he then threw in the boot of the car and was constantly wondering why he was always getting hard drive failures.....

Yeah - check the BIOS. If it doesn't see the hard drive then there is a serious problem. Also try the Ultimate Boot CD and see if any of the utilities there see it.

It can't find the hard drive , so that won't be possible..

Yes when power on unplesant noise hunnnnnnnnnnnnn before taking me to press fi or f2 described above.

Maker Dell Pentium 111. How can i remove the HD to reseat it. This might possibly work i presumed.
No heavy noice previously, like i said working fine before.

I just used Dell cd drivers and utility which appears to correct the error for now. Greatful to you all. You made me happy for these support and happy to join this forum despite my tight schedule to see if i can assist any other person.
Regards to all.

Last edited:
The laptop was eventually packed and send back to seller as each time i need to power it on with dell driver and utility cd. The guy is not ready to refund and issue continues with paypal, ebay.
Buyers must always beware on e bay, be sure of what you are buying, who you are buying from, check guaranttee offer. If less than 31 days do not buy as 7 days you might still be expecting your item. Normally guarrantee must be 12months if sure of what you are selling. Some seller offered 12 months return on e bay look for those good sellers. Ask a lot of probing questions before you make payment, if seller is unable to answer let it go.

Last edited:
Back